Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
CharlieKPoland
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Disadvantages of new version 2.0.0.700

Post by CharlieKPoland »

HI. I have some replies about noticed unexpected behaviour.

1) I have backup starting at 3am. It takes 3 hours. I have checked option "when backup target is connected" and there is set default period "2 hours". Backup finished at 6:03am and I 45 minutes later I made restart. Suddanly - at 6:50 - it started again to make backup !!! Why, if only 50 minutes left from ending last backup ???
So please change it this period should be counted from the ending, not beginning of backup.

2) Still when clicked STOP making backup - wee need to wait so, so, so long to really stop... As usual long :(
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Re: Disadvantages of new version 2.0.0.700

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

CharlieKPoland wrote:1) I have backup starting at 3am. It takes 3 hours. I have checked option "when backup target is connected" and there is set default period "2 hours". Backup finished at 6:03am and I 45 minutes later I made restart. Suddanly - at 6:50 - it started again to make backup !!! Why, if only 50 minutes left from ending last backup ???
So please change it this period should be counted from the ending, not beginning of backup.
I have seen this as well. At the time when the backup finishes it then says "last backup x minutes / hours ago", taking the start time not the end time.

I can see why it is done, because for long backups doing several hundred gigabytes this becomes somewhat helpful as the data at the beginning of the backup literally hasn't been backed up since the start time.

I would change the default period. I myself will often change it to 18 hours.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

In regards to 2, if you click stop we have to make sure everything is back to a normal state so we can't just force stop it. If you think it can be faster on the specific machine please contact support for assistance.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
CPCS
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Post by CPCS »

I would think that taking the start time is corect cause VSS will frezze the system pretty close to the start time and all changes being made after this freeze are not in the backup and therefor it should be correct or logical for me.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Veeam Help Center wrote:The Back up no more often than every <N> <time units> option is applied only to job sessions started at specific events. Daily backups are performed according to defined schedule regardless of the time interval specified for this setting.
The 'Back up no more often than' option applies to backup events only and does not track the scheduled backup time.
SS will frezze the system pretty close to the start time and all changes being made after this freeze are not in the backup
Correct.