Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
tomfinlay
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Finlay

Disk Map error? Recovery not booting - Case 04153230

Post by tomfinlay »

Hi, this is re: Case 04153230

Attempting to recover a W7 backup to a Hyper-V VM via Bare Metal Recovery. The disk mapping wouldn't work automatically (there are separate C, Windows, System, Page File, and Data partitions from the system that was backed up). Attempted to map these manually, not sure that I did it correctly. The vm wouldn't boot from the hard drive, but it does from the Veeam recovery disk. I can see all of the files there if I browse the VHD from a tool (mounting/unmounting in W10). Should I reformat the host machine partition that contains the vhd and try again? Do I need to have partitions in the vhd that match the original machine? I'm glad to paste in logs if that helps. I've used Veeam only a few times for restoring and never had these problems before. Any advice is welcome, thank you!!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Disk Map error? Recovery not booting - Case 04153230

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

In general, it's not required that the disk layout matches the source exactly. But to make life easier, I recommend that you create a similar layout (meaning that the disk size can be different, but the rest should be the same) in the VM.

Best regards,
Hannes