Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
bjbourke23
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brendan Bourke

DxConsole SQL backup

Post by bjbourke23 »

I'm not sure if Veeam friends on the forums know the answer to this but I'm going to ask anyways.....

I have a customer using an application call DxConsole for SQL which virtualises SQL instances allowing them to run on multiple hosts. Likely clustering but not the same as traditional SQL clusters. But like clustering the SQL servers have virtual names, ip addresses etc.

Obviously Veeam is not going to recognise this "out of the box" so to speak. Given the that there is 3 physical servers and the virtual SQL instances can run on any host (like a failover cluster)

I was thinking that the agent could be deployed to all 3 servers manually and use virtual names in the backup job would the ‘EnableSystemUuidFailover’ key should be added on each Veeam Agent host registry with non-unique ID help in this situation?

They are currently using 9.5 Update 4 in their environment.

At the moment they dump the SQL databases to a flat file which is swept up via a UNC path on a backup server (not Veeam I might add) not very efficient or beneficial considering what Veeam offers in the SQL space.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: DxConsole SQL backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
did you talk to the vendor how to back up these systems? I'm not sure whether their vHosts break VSS https://dh2i.com/wp-content/uploads/DxE ... e_Case.pdf

A Windows failover cluster works significantly different as far as I understand. So the starting point for the customer (or you) would be to test and ask DH2i. I assume that backup of the whole system just works. But without VSS, a restore would be manually (without Explorers)

I'm not sure how EnableSystemUuidFailover would help.

Best regards,
Hannes