Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
sgatke
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Simon Gatke

Email notifications?

Post by sgatke »

I am wondering about the new email notifications.
I have Veeam Endpoint Backup on my laptop, configured to run every day and save backups on a shared folder at the office.
This works well, at least the days I am actually at the office. Those days, I receive an email notification that backup has successfully completed.
However, the days when I am not in the office, the backup will of course not run - but I don't receive emails about this.
I expect it is because Veeam Endpoint does not start the backup job when the backup repository is not available, but I would like an email reminder about it.
Would it be possible to implement this in a future version?

Thank you in advance.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Email notifications?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Do you have "Warning" and and "Error" checkbox selected in notifications settings?

Thank you.
sgatke
Influencer

Post by sgatke »

Yes, all options are selected: Success, Warning, Error.

I believe the reason I don't receive an email is because the job never starts when the backup target is not detected.
In that case, the job does not fail (since it did not even start) so it makes sense that I don't receive a notification.
I propose a 4th option besides Success, Warning and Error: "Backup target unavailable".

Would this be possible?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

However, the days when I am not in the office, the backup will of course not run - but I don't receive emails about this. I expect it is because Veeam Endpoint does not start the backup job when the backup repository is not available, but I would like an email reminder about it.
Even if the repository was not available the backup job should have started anyway. Please open a support case and post your case ID here.

Thank you.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Simon,

PTide is correct. I get an error email when I miss my backup because my target is not connected (and since I am on the road a lot, I get this a lot... which is a trigger for me to attach my USB drive :-))

So when you don't get any emails, something is wrong. Did you verify that your email settings work outside of the office? For example, I wouldn't be surprised if the SMPT server you are using is not externally accessible?

Mike
sgatke
Influencer

Post by sgatke »

Hi Mike
Thanks for your suggestion.
I thought the same, but when I test the SMTP settings when I am not in the office I receive the test email with 30 seconds.
So the email settings are correct :-)

I also checked the junk email folder and our spam filter - no emails waiting for me.
Right now I have a warning in Endpoint Backup that tells me: Backup target has not been seen for 2 days.
I am happy to hear that it is supposed to send emails in these situations.
When I am back at the office I will try to open a support case.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks Simon,

Please update this thread when you know more

Thanks

Mike
sgatke
Influencer

Post by sgatke »

I wanted to test a little more before I created a support case.
I found out that because I normally use my laptop on battery-power, that is actually what prevents the job from running.
If I plug in the power supply, I do indeed receive an email alert about backup failing because of no access to the target folder.

So, I guess no need to bother your support-heroes :-)

P.S. I realize I can force the backup job to run, even though it is running on battery power.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Simon,

What is the battery level of your laptop when the job starts? We indeed have a system that makes sure the job doesn't start on battery power, but it should start when the battery is full or has a decent amount left. In v1.5 (if not mistaken) it will not start under 20% but above it should start

Mike
sgatke
Influencer

Post by sgatke »

Interesting, I was not aware of that.
I will try to keep an eye on the battery level next time.