Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
solmssen
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Andrew Solmssen

Email notifications

Post by solmssen »

Hi all -

Mail notification from Windows Agent is giving me grief, and here's the primary issue:

I can't send mail from a different address than I'm sending to. I use an in-house anonymous relay to send mail through an office 365 kiosk account called notifications@domain.com. So the mail needs to come from "notifications@domain.com" to be sent out through the relay, or even directly through the kiosk account. But it needs to go to me. I can't set up forwarding rules since it's a kiosk account. Trapped between a rock and a hard place here.

I've worked around it by creating an app password for my user account and putting that in Veeam settings, but this is *not optimal*. App passwords make my head hurt. I would like to be able to send mail to a different address than sending from, please. Thanks!

Update - searching found me the config.xml edit method to fix this. I got an error importing the edited configuration regarding this being the free edition, but it appears to have worked regardless. The GUI now prevents me from editing mail settings, and the mail is sent as desired. Thoughts? Have I screwed anything else up by doing this?

I'm not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth here. Veeam Windows Agent free edition is an amazing piece of software, and one I would happily have my clients pay for if there was some way to buy it for one physical server backing up to a local disk or SMB share. But it would be nice to have a From and To field in the email GUI.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Email notifications

Post by Dima P. »

Hello solmssen.
Update - searching found me the config.xml edit method to fix this. I got an error importing the edited configuration regarding this being the free edition, but it appears to have worked regardless. The GUI now prevents me from editing mail settings, and the mail is sent as desired. Thoughts? Have I screwed anything else up by doing this?
That is the supported way to separate from and to address. Basically you need to specify only email portion of application configuration and import the xml back.
I'm not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth here. Veeam Windows Agent free edition is an amazing piece of software, and one I would happily have my clients pay for if there was some way to buy it for one physical server backing up to a local disk or SMB share. But it would be nice to have a From and To field in the email GUI.

Thank you for the kind words, I'll gladly add your vote to this feature request.
solmssen
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Andrew Solmssen

Re: Email notifications

Post by solmssen »

Thanks Dima. So an XML that just updates email to from info would look like:

Code: Select all

<ExecutionResult>
<Data>
<ApplicationSettings>
<EmailReport Notification="True">
<Header Subject="[%JobResult%] %ComputerName% - %CompletionTime%" From="user@domain.com" To="otheruser@otherdomain.com" />
</EmailReport>
</ApplicationSettings>
</Data>
</ExecutionResult>
Is this correct? Could I use this in a script to update multiple clients?