Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
apronk
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Arend Pronk

Endpoint Restore Points decrease

Post by apronk »

Hi All,

Due to backup space constraints I have opted to change the amount of restore points per Endpoint instance from 7 to 5.
However the decrease does not seem to take place.
VEB keeps backing up happily and merging the oldest file into the main archive, but the amount of restore points keep the same.
Since VEB points to our VBR server I thought I could delete 2 restore points from the VBR console however this was not the case.
I'm not sure wether or not this is a bug, but I would like to see a solution for this.

With regards,

Arend Pronk
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Endpoint Restore Points decrease

Post by Dima P. »

Hey apronk,
restore points per Endpoint instance from 7 to 5
The retention architecture slightly differs from the elder VBR brother because VEB counts days of successful backups instead of restore points (generally, you may have 3 restore points at one day and this still counts like one day of successful backups). Check this Help Center article for more details.
apronk
Enthusiast

Post by apronk »

Hi Dima,

Thank you for your reply, that is quite an interesting document.
However this does not solve my problem. Each restore point coincides with 1 day.
So there are still 7 restore points (8 actually), and every day a backup is made the restore points don't decrease to 5.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome. What happens when you decrease the ‘number of days to keep the backups’ and then start a manual backup (since merge takes place during job run only)?
apronk
Enthusiast

Post by apronk »

Actually nothing different.
The same happens as if the 'number of days to keep the backups' have been left at 7.
It makes a new backup and merges the oldest one.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Please open a case through Veeam Endpoint Backup Control Panel > Support > Technical Support, so we could check the logs. Do not forget to post the case ID to this thread. Thanks!