Endpoint Restores - VBM and VBK from Veeam B&R

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Endpoint Restores - VBM and VBK from Veeam B&R

Veeam Logoby mmonroe » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:19 pm

I am doing some testing with Veeam EndPoint and VBM and VBK files.

In the past I would occasionally do a VeeamZip of several servers for various reasons. I never tested it but I assumed that I could open and restore the VeeamZip using Veeam EndPoint. Was I mistaken?

I have run into a VSS issue with VeeamZip on a 2012R2 server so I abandoned VeeamZip and created a new B&R job with the servers I wanted backed up and created a new VBM and VBK file. I assumed I should be able to open these with EndPoint and restore things, however, EndPoint will not see the files. If I click directly on the VBM or VBK, EndPoint launches but fails with an error saying "Object mus be in the root directory". I have moved the VBM/VBK files around from directories to the root drive and whatnot and still get the error.

I figured that the VBM/VBK files would be universal across all productions, however, it looks like I may be mistaken on this. Will the EndPoint product not open VBM/VBK files from the B&R backups?

I understand that I can import these back into the full B&R environment, however, I am hoping that EndPoint would be a quick way to do restores offsite or whatnot without having to have a full B&R setup built.

Thanks for the help!!
mmonroe
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Monroe

Re: Endpoint Restores - VBM and VBK from Veeam B&R

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:56 pm

Monroe,
I never tested it but I assumed that I could open and restore the VeeamZip using Veeam EndPoint. Was I mistaken?

Unfortunately, VEB cant restore the VBR’s data.
I am hoping that EndPoint would be a quick way to do restores offsite or whatnot without having to have a full B&R setup built.

From the top of my head, you can set up a VBR Free at remore sire and switch it to fully functional mode. All types of recovery are supported even in free edition.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 439 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows