Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kjstech
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Keith S

Error: Cannot find partition

Post by kjstech »

Hello,

I'm trying Veeam Endpoint Backup which I just downloaded this morning, 8/24/2015 from Veeam's download center, so this should be the newest version. I just want to back up my C: (SSD) drive to my D: Data drive and I get this error every single time I try:

Error: Cannot find partition \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\Harddisk2\Partition1

Any idea how to get this program to work? I would like to backup my Windows 7 boot drive (C) prior to installing Windows 10 upgrade, so if something goes wrong I can restore my system.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Error: Cannot find partition

Post by Dima P. »

Hey kjstech,

Can you elaborate what backup mode are you using: I assume you've selected volume C (SSD) as a source and volume D (HDD) as a destination via volume level backup mode - is that correct? Can you double-check via disk manager the SSD drive layout – it might be a system partition like System Reserved?

Additionally, please open a support case via Control Panel > Support so we could take a look at your logs. Thanks.
kjstech
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Keith S

Post by kjstech »

You are correct, volume backup of C: to save in D:\VeeamBackups.

I ended up using Windows Backup to backup my Win 7 Pro install, then I upgraded to Win 10 Pro. Upgrade went smoothly. Now in Win 10 I still have it installed and I tried to run it again to get a backup of Win 10, but its the same exact error.

Windows has no issue seeing the partition as it upgraded properly, so maybe an update to Veeam Endpoint you could just have Veeam use whatever engine or dll's Windows uses to manage locating where data on the disk resides?

I have a picture of the diskmgmt console but I can't figure out how to attach it here. Basically it looks like this

Disk0 (Drive D:) raid0 1192.32 GB NTFS Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)
Disk1 System Reserved 100 MB NTFS Healthy (System, Active) | Samsung PRO 840 SSD Drive C: 237.94 GB NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) | 450 MB Healthy (Recovery Partition)
Disk2 WD Passport (F:) 111.79 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition) USB 2.0 drive
Drive G DVD-ROM

I am not sure where the system reserved or recovery partition came from on drive C: but I can assure you I did not create it. This is a custom build PC that I put together in 2010 from components purchaed at Newegg. Everything (CPU, board, memory, etc..) Over the years I just made the raid the D: drive and installed the 250 GB SSD, also upgraded the ram from 6GB to 12GB. Other than that it runs great. Windows must have created those other partitions, and if so it must be common and something Veeam needs to take in account for.

I just checked my laptop which is running Windows 8.1. It is a Sony Vaio and its C: drive has a 13.98 Recovery partition | System Reserved 100 MB NTFS | 224.41 GB NTFS (Bitlocker Encrypted) Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition). I have not tried Veeam endpoint on this system yet.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

The picture is brighter now - thanks kjstech!
I am not sure where the system reserved or recovery partition came from on drive C:
That the system partition, automatically allocated while setting up an operating system. According to the layout this partition is misbehaving for some reason, but I can say why without logs being submitted to our support team. Kindly open a support case and post here the case ID if the issue still persists after upgrade.
azarij
Novice
Liked: 3 times

Post by azarij » 1 person likes this post

Not sure if it helps investigating the issue, but I get this same error re a missing partition _every_ time I add/remove a physical hard drive from my system (not the drive I'm backing up).
Suspect same error would be given if I change partitions layout on a physical drive.
In my case, the workaround is to go through the backup setup wizard one more time and make sure all partitions on C: (this is the only one I'm backing up, size 120gb, resides on 120 gb SSD).
Running 1.1.1.212. On the previous version and the one before that I had same issues.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for sharing Alex! That’s might be the solution but before removing the original system’s volumes, which could lead to OS boot issues, I recommend to consult with our support team. Anyway opening support case is free and complete assurance that you wont corrupt you excising setup is priceless :wink:
azarij
Novice
Liked: 3 times

Post by azarij »

True that.
In my case though I don't remove system drives/partitions to reproduce the error. Let's say I have following setup (this is not my actual setup):

Disk1 - 120gb SSD with Windows 10 installed on it, system, active, boot, contains 3-4 partitions.
Disk2 - 2 TB WD Black, part of raid0 windows dynamic disk
Disk3 - 2 TB WD Black, part of raid0 windows dynamic disk
Disk4 - 1 TB Hitachi

At this point let's say I setup VEBf to backup all partitions on Disk1. It works flawlessly and everyone is happy. Now, after couple of weeks, I decide to physically remove Disk4 from my system. Next backup after removing Disk4 will 100% give me this error re disk not found even though I never asked to backup Disk4.
For the backup to continue I just need to go through the backup setup wizard again. In the wizard it will show one partition of Disk1 not selected for backup even though it was when I initially configured Disk1 backup. I tick that partition, finish the wizard and backup runs flawlessly every night until I change disks config next time.
I have a suspicion that windows gives physical disks (and maybe partitions) new IDs every time reconfiguration occurs and VEBf can't find usual partitions it needs to backup under usual IDs or something. I may be mistaken.

Currently I have an effective workaround for the issue so I will hold on opening a case for this. However, please let me know if you need further info/logs to investigate this further.

Best regards.
fr4ctur3d
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Suclla

[MERGED] Parition Missing Error

Post by fr4ctur3d »

Has anyone been able to fix this type of error? I'm getting the following (specific to my configuration, of course):

Error: Cannot find partition \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\Harddisk6\Partition1

In this case, Harddisk6 is the External USB drive that I'm trying to back up to. I assume Partition1 is the data partition and not the EFI partition.

What I'm trying to do is this: Volume Backup of C:\ drive (all partitions) to USB drive.

I've done the following:

1. Uninstalled and Reinstalled VEB and SQL
2. Recreated SQL DB
3. Tried new Backup to D:\ drive, just to see if relocation would work
4. Tried un-registering the USB drive and re-registering it

No Dice... Any insight would help, at this point, I'm about to uninstall this thing for good...
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jeff,
Have you opened a support case? That should be a №0 troubleshooting step :wink:
fr4ctur3d
Novice
Full Name: Jeff Suclla

Post by fr4ctur3d »

Yup - just wanted to get some input while waiting around for support...
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Good, thanks! Let’s await for our support team then - please don’t forget to get back to this thread and share the solution or suggested workaround.
Leitner
Influencer

[MERGED] Cannot find partition

Post by Leitner »

After every Windows Update on a Win Server 2019 I've get the error "Error: Cannot find partition \\?\Volume{xxxxxxx}". I'm using Volume level backup and set the option "Operation system".

I found only this old Topic (veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/error-canno ... 29884.html), which does not help.
The setting "Entire computer" isn't an option for me.
I've also opened a support case. But this was closed without getting any help (due to high Support Team load we were unable to process your request).

Does anyone has an idea, how can I fix this?

Best Regards
Patrick
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Patrick,

May I ask you to clarify your Support case ID? Even if the case was closed, we still need its ID.
Also, moved your post to the existing thread to keep similar issues together - it could help the future readers :)

Thanks!
Leitner
Influencer

Post by Leitner »

Hi Natalia,

thanks for your help.

My case ID was #05281917.

Best Regards
Patrick
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Patrick,

Can you please clarify which agent version you are at? Thanks!
Leitner
Influencer

Post by Leitner »

Hello Dima,

I've installed 5.0.0.
I could update to 5.0.2. But after reading the "Whats New" Document, I'm not sure if this really would fix my issue.

Best Regards
Patrick
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Patrick,

The original issue should be resolved in older versions, so I've asked support and QA to review your case details. Thanks!