Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ddayton
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Don Dayton

Error: Cannot proceed with the job: existing backup meta

Post by ddayton »

Anyone else have the issue?

Daily backups have been running fine on the latest version of EPB (v1.1.2.119). I have 10 physical computers doing daily backups spread across different times during the day and their target is a B&R repository.

The B&R server is running the latest version (v9). The B&R server is a virtual 2012 server with the normal VMware local datastore drive for booting and it has two iSCSI NAS devices mapped for repository storage. One iSCSI is the target for all of the Vmware VM backups and the other is the target for all EPB backups. I also have like NAS devices at the DR location and use Backup Copy to copy the backups offsite.

I had a case with my laptop where EPB failed and today I noticed a desktop PC was also in the same state. The EPB was in a retry loop and each time it started it ran for about 8 seconds and errored with:

Code: Select all

Preparing for backup
Error: Cannot proceed with the job: existing backup meta file 'Backup Job {etc.}'
Processing finished with errors at 3/6/2016 9:23:42 AM
For my laptop I renamed the old target folder in the repository then restarted the job and it ran fine to a new folder. After a few days I deleted the old folder once I had some history backed up again, but unsure if I could have recovered any files from it. Today for the desktop I wasn't concerned with the last successful backup (3 days ago), so I just deleted the old backups and restarted the job and it ran fine.

There is a possiblilty I might have rebooted while a backup was in process, not sure. But if I did reboot it would have been a graceful boot using the Windows restart or a restart right after some Windows updates.

I'll be more watchful now that I have seen it a second time, but this had not happened before upgrading my Veeam server, which was previously Windows Server 2008 R2 with the latest Veeam V8.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Error: Cannot proceed with the job: existing backup meta

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Don,

Have you submitted the case to our support team?