Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

Exchange backup with VAW

Post by ferrus »

Is it viable to use a Veeam Agent to backup our VM based Exchange server, rather than B&R?

The only document I've read (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95) advises that multiple DAG members can't be backed up this way - but standalone servers can.

Currently we have a six node DAG, but have a single 20TB passive node that contains copies of all databases from the other nodes.
We backup this VM node using B&R, but even with a passive node - the snapshot operations can take several hours, DAG failovers occur, and log truncation can fail.

The VMware, SAN and hardware infrastructure on this site is quite old, and won't be upgraded until it is shut down. I was wondering therefore, if VAW would be a viable alternative solution - on the passive node. If it was, it would hopefully eliminate all three of the errors above.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Exchange backup with VAW

Post by Dima P. »

Hello ferrus,

If you are using Veeam B&R I'd recommend you to create a couple of managed by backup server backup jobs for agents and set up job chaining (i.e. to start backup of the second node only after backup of the first node is completed). Cheers!
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

Post by ferrus »

Yes - we're managing all of our Agent backups through the B&R console.
But why chain the jobs? Or rather, why backup multiple nodes?

If we can just perform a single VM backup using B&R at the moment - of the passive node that contains a copy of all the Databases/Logs, can we not do the same with VAW?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello ferrus.

In case one node backup works for you, then sure you can configure managed by backup server backup job with VSS enabled for a single node.