Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Failed to obtain changed block tracking map for volume (C:)

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

I'm seeing this error message each backup now I have upgraded to Veeam Agent 2.1.0.423 and installed the CBT driver. This is on a SBS Server 2011:
Failed to obtain changed block tracking map for volume (C:), failing over to MFT analysis based incremental backup
Any idea how to build the CBT map? Is it even supported by SBS 2011 (Server 2008 R2 SP1)?

This is the server saying "Unknown result status: PermissionDeny" as mentioned here, so cannot upload ticket:
veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/an-establis ... 47955.html
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Failed to obtain changed block tracking map for volume (

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Alex,

Was this server rebooted after CBT driver installation? I'll ask support to open a case for you and check with web team regarding support case functionality.
kelvin150505
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: kelvin

Post by kelvin150505 »

I was open case ID# 02468847 in support with same warning message, they answered that know about this problem and programmers work for resolve it.

support answer:

Your data confirms that it is a known issue of the new CBT driver that comes with the new update.

There are two possible ways out:

a) Currently, the developers are working on fixing this issue, but since it involves deep-level changes and interaction with Microsoft, I'm not able to provide you with an estimation of the availability of the fix. I might put the case on prolonged hold and get back to you as soon as I receive any news from research and developer department.

b) Also, you can straightforwardly remove CBT driver as described in the dedicated page of the user guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=21
kelvin150505
Novice

Post by kelvin150505 »

I have this warning message only when backup a physical servers, when i use Veeam Agent for Windows with VMware VM, backup works with out any warning messages
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Dima P. wrote:Hi Alex, Was this server rebooted after CBT driver installation? I'll ask support to open a case for you and check with web team regarding support case functionality.
Yes, at 4:30am the next morning. I have since remove the CBT driver and rebooted the server and everything appears to be working perfectly again.
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Post by nunciate »

I am having the same error on a single physical server using the WIndows Agent.

Are you saying you removed the drive and rebooted but did not reinstall the driver to fix the issue?
I have removed and rebooted, reinstalled and rebooted again but it had no effect on the error.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

nunciate wrote:I am having the same error on a single physical server using the WIndows Agent.

Are you saying you removed the drive and rebooted but did not reinstall the driver to fix the issue?
I have removed and rebooted, reinstalled and rebooted again but it had no effect on the error.
I removed the CBT driver and rebooted, problem has stopped, hopefully for good.
kelvin150505
Novice

Post by kelvin150505 »

Warning message disappeared after remove CTB driver, but functionality of CBT driver not work and time of incremental backup increases in comparison with the use of time with CBT
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Veeam Support had confirmed that this is an issue with Windows 7 / Small Business Server 2011 when the CBT Driver is installed. Specifically, the OS partition must not contain the System Reserved partition for the CBT driver to work.
It is a known issue for the situations when C:\ volume is also a System volume (meaning, it contains a boot record). In such cases CBT can not start change tracking on the System volume.

The resolution is one of the two options below:

1) Remove CBT driver

OR

2) Create a dedicated System partition on another volume (not C:\).
Ignore the arrow, this shows the C partition with the System Reserved boot record inside it (CBT driver won't work):

Experiment44
Lurker
Full Name: Json

Re: Failed to obtain changed block tracking map for volume (C:)

Post by Experiment44 »

If you look in your ESET console under the protection group of the client and then find the client, does it say reboot needed? I turned off the firewall on my client and then executed a rescan of the machine.This removed the error for me.