Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
edison5000
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: e

Feature Request: allow agents to backup on vpn connectivity, or, when they detect a repository

Post by edison5000 »

case# 05621290

Somebody likely reported this before, but couldn't find a hit on Googling or searching forums.

The problem is: we have a bunch of remote user endpoints, notebooks or desktops, with Agent on there, in workstation / mnged by agent mode, who are vpn-ing in, and automatic backup cannot occur unless the user happens to be online at the scheduled daily time.

They can initiate backups themselves by pressing 'backup' in the Agent , or perform an action as defined in the job mode workstation /managed by agent dialog. But really we want the system to back up either at some point while they are logged on, or as soon as they logon to our network via VPN.

We also have it set such that if the endpoint is powered off during the scheduled backup, it will backup as soon as the machine is powered on. But the problem with that is, when a remote notebook is turned on, even if they immediately launched the vpn app and connected, the Veeam backup service has already started attempting to backup. (We have been experimenting with trying to get our VPN app to force users to VPN in before they logon to their systems, which may solve this!, but that's not ironed out). I guess we could try to hack something such that the Veeam service starts later, but there's no guarantee a user will definitely VPN in and start working right away just because they turned their system on.

You can schedule on-action backups (we have that enabled) - but that only completes if they stay connected over vpn, and lock their system while they are connected. Caching is not an option at this time, though it is cool that it exists.

Now, you might say "but there is the 'backup when target is connected!' option. That will not work. Several months ago I escalated this to Veeam Agent tech Kirsten Reinhard, who proved that feature is only good for *connecting a local USB disk or NAS.*

(Finally, this would not be a problem if the same granularity for backup frequency was offered in Workstation managed by agent mode, as Server mode - but that is not a financial option for us. Why the agent jobs don't have an "X times per day" backup option is strange, but I digress ; )

So, barring anything we missed, likely a feature request for Agents, such that either (or both)

a) Enable agents to automatically begin backup when a predefined VPN connection is successful, or
b) (seems easier) enable agents to start backup once they detect a repository that is connected to a B&R server
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Feature Request: allow agents to backup on vpn connectivity, or, when they detect a repository

Post by Mildur »

Hi Eddington

Thanks for your request.

It doesn‘t make much sense to me right now, why „backup when target is connected“ shouldn‘t work with repositories over a VPN connection. 2 years ago, I also saw this option used with Veeam Cloud Connect Repositories, if I remember correctly. Let me check this limitation after my vacation, but I ask one of my colleagues to answering earlier.

As a workaround, could you build a script on the client machines and check, if VPN is connected and the following command to start the backup job? Check the event logs with the script to see, if the backup already run earlier on the day:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... ng-backups

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe" /backup
Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
edison5000
Expert

Re: Feature Request: allow agents to backup on vpn connectivity, or, when they detect a repository

Post by edison5000 »

Fabian - when we first purchased Veeam, I escalated the 'when target is connected' question to Kirsten R on the Agent team. She worked it as an escalation to prove that 'backup target' does not include repos, only a local NAS or usb disk.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello edison5000,

If I remember correctly the option to backup when target is connected should be triggered by USB drive being connected as well as any remote repository connected over network (basically the connection to the network should initiate repository availability check). I've asked support team to review your case details as well as QA team to make sure I am not missing anything. Stay tuned!
edison5000
Expert

Post by edison5000 »

Thanks Dmitry. As mentioned above, was previously escalated. Unfortunately I can't find the ticket # because the title did not match the content (i had several questions), and for some reason you can't search tickets on my.veeam.com by the Veeam support agent(s) responsible. (At least I cannot).
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

edison5000,

The information provided by support representative was incorrect. Backup triggered when you connect to a new network, then the backup job should check for repository accessibility - that works for shared folder, Veeam repository and Veeam Cloud Connect. You can use this option for your remote targets as well as removable USB drives. Thank you!
edison5000
Expert

Post by edison5000 »

Thanks! Really weird that this was escalated and I was told that it would not work for regular local server repositories..