Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Feature request: Exclude disk when choosing entire computer

Post by Peejay62 » Mar 27, 2018 8:40 am 5 people like this post

Hi,

is there a way too exclude a disk /volume even when you choose entire computer as backup mode for a windows physical machine?
By default we like to backup the entire computer (all disks) except 1 drive. This drive is defined as a dedicated drive for swap. (fwiw the s: drive). What happens now is that when I run a backup it ends up in a warning for the job. The S: drive is low on space (completely filled up with swapfile) and Veeam says it is unable to create a vss snapshot and warns on the low space issue. We don't want to backup that drive anyway.
Choosing volume based backup is not an option as I see it now as you have to enter drives by hand. There can be multiple drives on a system and I don't think it is a viable way to define your backup scope.
Probably this is a feature request: exclude disks when selecting entire computer backup mode. I haven't been able to find an option within Veeam B&R from centrally managed agents.

Thanks, Peter

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 813 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature request: Exclude disk when choosing entire compu

Post by Dima P. » Mar 27, 2018 9:50 am 3 people like this post

Hello Peter.

Thank you for your request. I'll discuss it with the team.

agrob
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Andre

Re: Feature request: Exclude disk when choosing entire computer

Post by agrob » Sep 26, 2018 1:56 pm 2 people like this post

+1
it would also be nice to exclude specific folders from a "entire computer backup". For example i would like to exclude the Folders from the SQL Databases (for example exclude E:\MSSQL). Reason, we use SQL Maintenance Plans.

davidkusch
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: david kusch

Post by davidkusch » Jan 04, 2019 5:21 pm 1 person likes this post

We would like to second this request. We have clients who, as it pertains to Hyper-V, foolishly load a physical server windows 2016 server and Exchange, and then load the Hyper-V role on the same server.
We need to do an "Entire Computer" backup since Exchange is so critical, but want to exclude the VHD directories of the additional virtual machines. Since they are our client (we are a Veeam pro-partner) we cannot force them to change their setup. Thank you.

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » Jan 04, 2019 5:24 pm

Hello and welcome David.

To clarify, you are referring to the backup jobs created in Veeam B&R console, right?

davidkusch
Lurker
Full Name: david kusch

Post by davidkusch » Jan 04, 2019 6:29 pm

Yes, thank you.

mimilau
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mi Mi Lau

Post by mimilau » Jan 24, 2019 12:46 am

That'd be an awesome feature. We can exclude the 400GB drive which stores the shadow copies.

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » Jan 25, 2019 6:45 pm

Hello and welcome to the community mimilau.

May ask If this shadow copy volume holds identical volume level across all computers or it's named differently? Thank you!

mdb_ec
Lurker
Full Name: mdb_ec

Post by mdb_ec » Feb 05, 2019 4:15 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi.

Just wanted to say the exclude disk or folder feature also make sense when using Veeam Agent for Windows. Take for instance a power user with lots of very large local drives (say video footage) which he also backs up by some other means (sync'ed to a network share). He'd like to have his workstation OS and apps restored from an image backup and that it completes as soon as possible to have it working again, and initially access the files in the network share, to have them later sync'ed back to the workstation local drives.

If he were forced to backup and restore all the local drives (OS + large data drives), it would take much longer for the workstation to be usable again.

Thanks

garybourne
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Bourne

Post by garybourne » Jul 03, 2019 8:05 am

Hi,

Can I add my request that we are able to folders on Physical server backups. Reason being that we are backing up a set of databases using Native SQL Backups and therefore want to exclude the folders.
Is there any chance that this will be included in a release coming out soon?

Thanks,
Gary.

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » Jul 03, 2019 12:57 pm

Hello and welcome to the community Gary,

Thank you for your feedback. Cant provide you any ETA but I've added your vote to this feature request. Cheers!