Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
DaveBowker
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Feature request - Resume restart from interupted point

Post by DaveBowker » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

I'm not sure if it is possible but I was wondering if it is possible to restart the initial / first time backup, if it has been interupted by a shutdown or network issue. I'm trying to backup a 1 TB desktop PC but it's on a 10Meg network so was running for over 24 Hrs before I stopped it.

I've since connected my backup device and desktop to a 1GB network which compled a backup in 5 hours but was wondering if a restartable method was possible. My initial thoughts are most of the files on the computer are not changing so the files placed on the backup share would still be valid after a restart. Obvoiusly the changed files would need to be reprocessed but I think this would allow laptops who start / stop / move to eventually get a full backup. Subsequent backups are obviously smaller so stand a better chance of being captured.

Regards,
Dave.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Feature request - Resume restart from interupted point

Post by Gostev »

Hi Dave, technically it might be possible, but will require that we keep VSS snapshot all this time, which may result with lots of extra disk space consumption. We will investigate this feature for the following releases. Thanks!
LukeAd
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Luke Admin

Post by LukeAd »

[First, thanks for what seems to be a fantastic (and free) product so far!! (I'm currently testing it on myself before deciding whether to roll it out to the rest of our users)]

I would like to add my vote to this feature request.

We have a number of remote users, as well as laptop users and Surface Pro users who never sit still for very long :)

Getting that initial backup can take 2-3 days of continuous uptime (and network connectivity) over "slowish" high-speed connections.

Our users are not the type to have the patience (or to remember) to leave their systems on and connected without interruption for that long, and it would not be realistic to try to have them capture their initial backup on an external USB drive we send them (so they can ship it back to our data center where we plug it in to "pre-seed" the initial backup on a file server...and this doesn't work if we want to backup to our VBR repo anyway).

Being able to restart an interrupted backup by having it pick up where it previously left off would be a huge benefit to capturing that first large backup. In fact it is the only realistic way for remote/portable users.

[this thread for reference: http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-endpoint- ... 28044.html]
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Luke, thanks - counted!
SBarrett847
Service Provider
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Post by SBarrett847 »

Sorry for the bumping of an old thread, but a big +1 on this request.

It took me 2-3 months to get a 27TB Initial Agent seed across a VPN, by juggling connected volumes within the agent. Now I have to get a smaller (!) 8tb server across a tighter 20mbit VPN, it hasn't been going well so far :) . I have been Juggling at the file level this time, just to get it to work.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Stephen,

Such functionality is planned :wink: