Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mcafeej
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jesse McAfee

Feature requests with backup problem

Post by mcafeej »

Here are a few things I think should be added:

Ability to manage/view backup files (It will allow me to view/delete/remove from inventory backup files stored on a remote share, attached drive, etc)

Check required services for application to run properly (When I first started the backup job it gave me the error below. I believe during install it should check for all required services, etc for the application to run.)

When I run the job for the first time it gives the following error:

Code: Select all

12/8/2014 8:35:32 AM :: Creating VSS snapshot Error: Cannot collect host info. Cannot collect OS version info. Cannot get server info. Win32 error:The Server service is not started.  Code: 2114 
http://i.imgur.com/ca6BaoK.png

I opened up a ticket # 00698372
mcafeej
Influencer

Re: Feature requests with backup problem

Post by mcafeej »

Add the ability to Pause/Stop jobs in progress
Add the ability to run multiple backup jobs (Only real reason I can think of for this feature is if I have additional larger drives attached that I want backed up less or more often and separate from the OS backup to another drive or file share.)

I was able to get the backup job running, I have my system locked down including VSS services disabled.

I run the batch script at the bottom of this link below and enabled the following two services: Volume Shadow Copy & Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider
http://kb.macrium.com/knowledgebasearticle50010.aspx

The backup job is running however at a extremely slow rate even though I'm using SSD drives. I haven't read any documentation or any expected backup rates, anyone else care to comment on backup times and hardware detail? My backup job shows 11% completed during a 38 minute window.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

What backup mode are you using?
mcafeej
Influencer

Post by mcafeej »

Right now Entire Computer, I'm still playing around with the software.

Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, that's too slow for volume-level local backup to an SSD... I observed 20MB/s backing up to a NAS share over Wi-Fi :)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you for the detailed feedback. Regarding your performance issue – try to disable throttling in the Control Panel > Settings – be default the I/O is throttled so the performance might be low due the heavy system load?
mcafeej
Influencer

Post by mcafeej »

I disabled the throttling and it did speed it up a little, at times I've seen it spike up to 10MB/s but average is 6MB/s. I do notice CPU usage stays low around 25% utilization.

I've been monitoring the Resource Monitor with all the Veeam processes. I see high Network I/O between the two VeeamAgent.exe processes, it appears this software is designed to be optimal backup over the network rather than direct attached storage? I plan on backing up my EndPoints to Veeam B&R Repository when that feature is available instead of local disk anyway. I'm going to cancel this backup and try a NAS backup and report on the statistics later.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Also you can set the endpoint priorities in the system even higher - under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup find a key EndPointAgentPriority (String) and set the exising value to Normal
mcafeej
Influencer

Post by mcafeej » 1 person likes this post

Well the EndPoint backup does seem to run much faster to a NAS than local disk. I changed the destination to a NAS and the job completed in 1 hour and 40 minutes for 85.6GB @ average 15MB/s with the Throttle backup activity disabled and the priority set to Normal (Thanks for the registry tip). I did see an improvement in CPU utilization and network speed.

Thank you for such a wonderful product and support help. I hope this information will be useful to someone else.

Here is my hardware info:

HP EliteBook 8560p
Windows 7 SP1 x64
4GB RAM
Intel i5-2520M @ 2.50Ghz / 4 Core
SanDisk SDSSDH120GG25 - 120GB SSD Drive

I am running TrueCrypt on the system partition with AES hardware acceleration enabled, roughly around 650MB/s encryption and 750 MB/s decryption speeds. I am not sure the impact that has had on my backup times.
jonaz
Enthusiast
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Jona Ziemann

Post by jonaz » 2 people like this post

I'm backing up to a USB 2.0 3.5" drive and getting decent speeds. c: is a SSD and d: is a traditional SATA 7200rpm drive.

Initial Backup
c: - 43MB/s
d: - 29MB/s

Incremental Backup
c: - 77MB/s
d: - 36MB/s

Definitely better speeds on the incremental. And getting about double the speed on my SSD. However my USB Drive is most definitely the bottleneck.

ATTO Disk Benchmark (16 - 1024 MB File Size)
c: - 250MB/s Read and Write
d: - 115MB/s Read and Write
USB Drive - 30MB/s Read and Write

I will change my backup to a shared path on a local windows file repository and see what speeds I get.
jonaz
Enthusiast

Post by jonaz » 1 person likes this post

And just an FYI if you are doing backup to shared folder.

Windows 7 uses Samba2.1 and Windows 8 uses Samba3/3.02. You will more than likely get better speeds if you are running Samba3 on both the source and destination as Samba3 is much more efficient and improves performance.

You can also tune SAMBA on most OS's through the registry/config files to make it perform better than the default configuration.

In my experience, NFS has been always faster than Samba, so you could look into using a NFS Share. And iSCSI has been better than NFS.

At my home lab, I'm running Windows 7 and Freenas using 2 NICS dedicated to iSCSI. I get around 120MB/s in that environment. Samba2 was about 40-50MB/s if I remember correctly.

This info might come in handy if you are backing up many sources to the same shared destination.

In any event, many destinations will be the bottleneck, especially if you are using a slow USB drive or something. It would be great if VEB could determine the bottleneck, whether it be the source, network, or destination.
jonaz
Enthusiast

Post by jonaz » 1 person likes this post

So I am currently running a full backup from my Windows 8 desktop with a SSD drive to a Windows 2008 R2 server via a shared folder.

I am getting about 22MB/s. About half has fast as backing up to my USB 2.0 locally attached device.

I have a Gb Nic in my desktop and the server has 2 x Gb Nics in a team. I believe both of them are directly plugged into a Cisco Nexus 10Gb switch.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Guys! Thank you for the outputs, that’s really impressive.
mistermat
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mathias Jansson

Post by mistermat »

My numbers without doing anything was 1 MB/S both to USB and to CIFS share.
I now disabled Throttle and edit the registry string.

Now i'm running 12 MB/S to a USB stick on a Windows 2008 R2, HP Gen 8 AD controller with 32 GB mem.
And I now got a Error: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. Agent failed to process method DataTransfer.SyncDisk

/Mathias
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Mathias,
In case you face any error during backup please open a support case thru a built in support case tool (Control Panel > Support > Technical support). If you post here a case ID - I could also take a quick look at your performance results.