Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Rogue_IT
Service Provider
Liked: never

File restore using command line?

Post by Rogue_IT »

Is it possible to do a file restore on a Windows based machine using just the command line? The use case would be to do a simple automated file restoration test to verify that the file is recoverable, like a .txt file at the root of C or something.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: File restore using command line?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Rogue_IT,

That's not possible for the standalone agent at the moment, but thanks for your FR!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

If you use the agents with a vbr server, you could use powershell on the vbr server to write a script.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
MiroslavKlose
Novice
Full Name: Miroslav Klose

Post by MiroslavKlose »

That would be really great. Any plans, in adding this in the future?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Miroslav,

Currently, there are no short-term plans to do that.

Thanks!
MiroslavKlose
Novice

Post by MiroslavKlose »

Hey,

Whats with Veeam.Backup.Validator.exe for the free agent?
Why is the Veeam.Backup.Validator.exe and the powershell opportunity to restore files via command only available for the veeam community edition and not for the free agent?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Miroslav

Veeam Agent Free and Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition are completely different products.
They are not the same just because they use both a free license. They don't have the same features build in.

Thanks,
Fabian
MiroslavKlose
Novice

Post by MiroslavKlose »

Hey,

in the free agent there is already the backup validator build in, it's just called Storage-level corruption guard, if i'm right?
I mean, you can use commands, to manually create a full backup and incremental backups. Why is there no method, to manually validate the backups with the Storage-level corruption guard via a command.
Do you think this will get be added in the next major version?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Miroslav
in the free agent there is already the backup validator build in, it's just called Storage-level corruption guard, if i'm right?

Correct.
Why is there no method, to manually validate the backups with the Storage-level corruption guard via a command.
Because health check outside a normal backup session was never on the roadmap.
Could you maybe share the use case why you need such feature for the Veeam Agent for Windows? Why is storage-level corruption not enough?
Do you think this will get be added in the next major version?
No, as far as I see in my Veeam Agent for Windows V6 lab, such feature won't be added to the next version.

Thanks,
Fabian
MiroslavKlose
Novice

Post by MiroslavKlose »

Could you maybe share the use case why you need such feature for the Veeam Agent for Windows? Why is storage-level corruption not enough?
I am creating a backup manually (i turned every veeam schedule setting off) with the command "C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe" /activefull"
If the backup is finished, i want to trigger the storage-level corruption to validate the backup. Otherwise, it makes no sense for me in creating a backup, if i can not be sure to use it in a emergency case.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Thanks for providing that information.

We use storage-level corruption guard to detect bit rot (corrupted data) on your backup repository. This doesn't happen right after we wrote the Active Full Backup. Such corruption can happen over months or years. And this can be detected by the storage-level corruption guard within the backup job if you do periodic backups of your machine.
Otherwise, it makes no sense for me in creating a backup, if I can not be sure to use it in a emergency case.
Storage-level corruption guard doesn't guarantee you, that it will boot after you restored a machine from the backup file. That your application will work after the restore. It only tells you, blocks of the backup file are not corrupted on the backup storage.
Maybe there is an issue in the windows system folder on your production machine. You take a backup of this state. The Storage-level corruption guard will tell you everything is green. But the machine won't boot after a restore because your windows system folder was protected in a bad state.

Best,
Fabian