I posted this
in another thread a couple days ago but since I got no feedback at all and I saw alot of activity from Veeam support team in other threads, I thought I'd post again in a new thread to make sure to catch more attention.
As mentionned in the other post, VEB somehow managed to corrupt my first vib file in the chain during the process of merging it into the vbk file. Since everything is incremental, this rendered all my other vib files completely useless (I lost a whole month of retention) and cheduled backups stopped working at this point.
I understand adding differential backups may not be an option because of the way VEB is designed, but then I think some better protection mechanism should to be added to make sure this issue doesn't happen again (e.g. add some PAR2
files or something before doing the merge so you can repair/rollback if there's an issue during the merge process).
I didn't happen to need anything from my lost backup files, but a backup software is as good as what it can restore when you need it.
I also suggest you add some more eye-catching notification (e.g. somewhat like win10 notification window every couple hours) to catch more attention when the backups are failing day after day. I've been sitting at my computer for at least a couple hours before I noticed the tiny red "x" (instead of usual clock) on VEB's tray icon. I know ALOT of non-IT people who wouldn't have noticed anything at all until it's too late.