Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

FR: B&R Repository - Where does my Restore Point live??

Post by rreed »

Morning, team. Latest VEB, piped to my v9U1 B&R install/repositories. I have my repositories replicated and both are configured in B&R so when I go to restore, my restore points show up twice. Fine, they're supposed to. But while selecting my restore point in VEB, nothing tells me which one is which, or where it lives so I can make sure I'm selecting the right one - the one that's local to my restore rather than across the WAN in the other data center.

I've tried hovering over my restore points, right-clicking, nothing. At the Backup Location (Veeam Repository), could we please get something in there, another column, hovering tool tip, anything, that tells us where a given restore point we're looking at/selecting lives please?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: FR: B&R Repository - Where does my Restore Point live??

Post by Dima P. »

Hi rreed,

May I ask how you replicate the repository? In addition, if you go to backup properties for VEB backups there is a file path to the actual backup location – is it the same for both repositories? Thanks!
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Built-in device replication, not via Veeam. These are Dell DR's but if not familiar, works the same way EMC DD's do.

Backup properties for VEB backups, do you mean in the B&R console? Yes, there is a lovely specific path in there, wish we had that everywhere! But in BMR, selecting Veeam Repositories, when it brings up which restore point I want, I just get the server/restore point name. No details on it.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Uh-oh, show-stopper. So it's a guess at which restore point you're selecting - the wrong one has you pulling from the live repository across the WAN which equals long recovery times. If you happen to pick the right one, in this case the replicated repository - which is read-only - it bombs out trying to write its log file. For EMC DD's and Dell DR's the replicated storage is read-only. How do we have VEB either write out its log file somewhere else or don't write it at all please?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Whoops, spoke too soon, sorry. It's continuing on w/ the restore, it just complained that it couldn't write its log file, which is fine. But, at least in the error message it did give me the path to my source file, which did inadvertently confirm I'm pulling the desired location.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's