Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
yasuda
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Peter Yasuda

Full Backup Merge Failed - no FIB

Post by yasuda »

I was thinking this would be a feature request, but maybe it's a bug. With version 1.2, I had backups fail for a couple days where the Control Panel showed:

Code: Select all

Full backup file merge failed Error: There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://frontend::CDataTransferCommandSet::RestoreText_{72728aa5-dd39-4886-bd10-8658700166b5}]. CHMOD mask: [0]. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.RestoreText}. 
I opened support case # 01743924, and Alexey quickly responded with
Current error comes to happen every time right after this:
"Full backup file merge failed Error: Exception of type 'Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException' was thrown."
This basically means that our DataMover process (which is responsible for any operation with data, including merging) was forcibly closed during merge. Full backup file, as result, is corrupted and whole chain can't be restored.
I updated to 1.5, deleted the contents of the backup folder, and a new full was created when the regularly scheduled backup ran.

My feature request was going to be that the backup chain restart itself automatically, but then I remembered other cases where that had happened. So maybe this was a bug?

I do have a feature request: Add more information to the event logs! The Windows event log just showed backup failed and will be retried. When it finally failed, it just showed failed. It would be great if the cause of the failure were included. Especially in cases where the backup chain has become corrupted!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Full Backup Merge Failed - no FIB

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Peter,

Any chance, you found an actual reason why it’s happened?
Add more information to the event logs!
Are you talking about the exact error code pasted to the windows event logs from the backup job? Out of curiosity, are you using some sort of windows event central monitoring tool? Thanks
yasuda
Enthusiast

Post by yasuda »

Hi Dima,

Maybe it was due an interruption of network connectivity? The backup goes to an SMB share. I didn't find more info other than what was reported by Alexey.

I am asking that at least a failure reason be added to the logs. All it says is "finished with error and will be retried". Normally I wait for a final "finished with failed" before investigating, but with this case it took a couple days between the backups failing and the event actually saying it finished with failed. If it says the merge failed I will know I need to look at it right away because the whole chain could be corrupted.

We use Kaseya to pull the logs from endpoints and report warnings and errors. Another nice thing would be to have more event IDs so we could alert on the IDs that are actual failures or actionable warnings, and not get the ones about space getting low or retries.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

The connection drops can’t be the root cause, but we will review your case, thanks! Just to be on the same page, are you aware of the complete Veeam Endpoint Backup Event list?
yasuda
Enthusiast

Post by yasuda »

Thanks, I have seen the list of events. I have an example:

Event 190
EndpointBackup job 'Backup Job AIHOST02' finished with Failed.

That's it. It would be nice to have a little more detail. Or at least a hint to check the logs at their location.

I will be interested to learn if you find anything.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Peter,

Thanks for the heads up. Good idea - I'll discuss it with the team.
CorbinD
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Terry Bennett

Post by CorbinD »

Has there been every any clear cut resolution to, what appears to be, an ongoing issue? For some unknown reason, I now have : "Full backup file merge failed Error: The FIB [E289CAC6] does not exist. Rollback from partial backup is impossible." I have attempted to tell the workstation to do a "backup now", and it appears to do the backup, but then fails on the rollup.

What do I have to do to resolve this issue? and what of all the previous backups in the backup chain?
Agent for windows 2.0 free
Thanks in advance
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Terry,

The original issue should be resolved in v2. Please open a support case via Control Panel > Technical Support > Support and share the case ID. Thanks!