Full Backup Merge Failed - no FIB

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Full Backup Merge Failed - no FIB

Veeam Logoby yasuda » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:42 pm

I was thinking this would be a feature request, but maybe it's a bug. With version 1.2, I had backups fail for a couple days where the Control Panel showed:

Code: Select all
Full backup file merge failed Error: There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://frontend::CDataTransferCommandSet::RestoreText_{72728aa5-dd39-4886-bd10-8658700166b5}]. CHMOD mask: [0]. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.RestoreText}.

I opened support case # 01743924, and Alexey quickly responded with

Current error comes to happen every time right after this:
"Full backup file merge failed Error: Exception of type 'Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException' was thrown."
This basically means that our DataMover process (which is responsible for any operation with data, including merging) was forcibly closed during merge. Full backup file, as result, is corrupted and whole chain can't be restored.

I updated to 1.5, deleted the contents of the backup folder, and a new full was created when the regularly scheduled backup ran.

My feature request was going to be that the backup chain restart itself automatically, but then I remembered other cases where that had happened. So maybe this was a bug?

I do have a feature request: Add more information to the event logs! The Windows event log just showed backup failed and will be retried. When it finally failed, it just showed failed. It would be great if the cause of the failure were included. Especially in cases where the backup chain has become corrupted!
yasuda
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Peter Yasuda

Re: Full Backup Merge Failed - no FIB

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi Peter,

Any chance, you found an actual reason why it’s happened?
Add more information to the event logs!

Are you talking about the exact error code pasted to the windows event logs from the backup job? Out of curiosity, are you using some sort of windows event central monitoring tool? Thanks
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby yasuda » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi Dima,

Maybe it was due an interruption of network connectivity? The backup goes to an SMB share. I didn't find more info other than what was reported by Alexey.

I am asking that at least a failure reason be added to the logs. All it says is "finished with error and will be retried". Normally I wait for a final "finished with failed" before investigating, but with this case it took a couple days between the backups failing and the event actually saying it finished with failed. If it says the merge failed I will know I need to look at it right away because the whole chain could be corrupted.

We use Kaseya to pull the logs from endpoints and report warnings and errors. Another nice thing would be to have more event IDs so we could alert on the IDs that are actual failures or actionable warnings, and not get the ones about space getting low or retries.
yasuda
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:09 pm

The connection drops can’t be the root cause, but we will review your case, thanks! Just to be on the same page, are you aware of the complete Veeam Endpoint Backup Event list?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby yasuda » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:11 pm

Thanks, I have seen the list of events. I have an example:

Event 190
EndpointBackup job 'Backup Job AIHOST02' finished with Failed.

That's it. It would be nice to have a little more detail. Or at least a hint to check the logs at their location.

I will be interested to learn if you find anything.
yasuda
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:57 am

Peter,

Thanks for the heads up. Good idea - I'll discuss it with the team.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows