Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
rbensene
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Rick Bensene

Get Rid of Unmanaged Windows Endpoint Machine

Post by rbensene »

I had a physical Windows machine (Windows 7x64) that was being backed up just fine by Veeam Endpoint for Windows (licensed).

One of our techs did a Physical->Virtual conversion (VMware) of the machine, and after the machine was converted, the physical machine was shut down and decommissioned.

The tech that did the work also removed the Veeam Endpoint from the resulting VM, and added it to the Veeam Virtual Machine backups in Veeam Backup and Replication.

The problem is, now the computer is listed in the Physical & Cloud Infrastructure "Unmanaged" folder, and I can't get rid of it.
The only options are to try to move it to a backup job, which, if attempted, results in: "Unable to move the host to a protection group because the host is managed by service provider.", which, I believe is a really horribly worded way to say that the VM is being backed up by the VM backup environment.
The only other available option is "Details", which puts up a useless display of the hostname, IP address (which is empty), OS (which says Unknown), and Agent Version, which says "Not installed".

I know now that what should have happened is that the machine should have been "removed" from the Veeam Endpoint backups /BEFORE/ it was converted to a virtual machine. However, that realization came too late.

I've tried everything I can think of to try to get rid of this entry in the "Unmanaged" folder, and nothing works.

Has anyone else run into situations like this? How did you get rid of the "stale" entry?

Thank you,
Rick Bensene
Systems Administrator
Day Wireless/Cascade Utilities/Cascade Access
Estacada, Oregon
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Re: Get Rid of Unmanaged Windows Endpoint Machine

Post by stuartmacgreen »

I had a similar scenario.
The advice via support was
Delete the jobs operating the machines with Not Installed (or just exclude these machines from the list in job settings), review Unmanaged after that.
Now the jobs in questions were Veeam Agent Backup Jobs that were displayed in the VBR Console Jobs view and could only be managed from the Endpoint.

After I deleted the jobs, the Not Installed entries removed themselves.

Maybe the same is to remove the VM from the Veeam backup job it exists in? - otherwise if doesnt fix it put request into Support.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Get Rid of Unmanaged Windows Endpoint Machine

Post by Dima P. »

rbensene wrote:The problem is, now the computer is listed in the Physical & Cloud Infrastructure "Unmanaged" folder, and I can't get rid of it.
If it was a standalone deployment try to remove this agent's backup job, and unregistered it's backup (remove backup from configuration). This should erase the backup jobs from Veeam B&R database.
rbensene wrote:"Unable to move the host to a protection group because the host is managed by service provider."
This is unexpected behavior, so if the suggested workaround does not help, kindly, open a support case and share the case ID. Thank you.