Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Backup_Guy
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kevin Markle

Getting errors stating: "The name can be no more than 260 characters in length"

Post by Backup_Guy »

Case #04276927

I'm starting out with Veeam and just recently added some physical servers to our backup process. I'm getting these errors stating: "The name can be no more than 260 characters in length". Please let me know if you guys have run into this and if so does Veeam offer a bug fix, a utility to check and find the problem files and directories or...

Thanks!

Kevin
Thanks for looking!

Kevin
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Getting errors stating: "The name can be no more than 260 characters in length"

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as it is a Microsoft limitation, Veeam cannot create a bugfix for that. I don't see any information whether your issue is about backup or restore.

Mostly customers mention this issue for restores: post343171.html#p343171

Best regards,
Hannes
Backup_Guy
Influencer

Re: Getting errors stating: "The name can be no more than 260 characters in length"

Post by Backup_Guy »

Thanks for the help! That gets me what I need...
Thanks for looking!

Kevin
Backup_Guy
Influencer

Post by Backup_Guy » 1 person likes this post

It would be nice when creating a backup job if the software generated an error about the path length...
(I'm told Veeam developers review this forum for possible software changes)
Thanks for looking!

Kevin
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

We have a client that gets that same error all the time because their company data drive looks like this:

D:\Company_Data\Client_Company_Name\Year\Month\JobDescription\

When they go to add a file it only be a small length because the file location itself has taken up most of the 256 characters.

I believe there is a patch for this but older machines may crash if they try to connect to the drive share.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

as for now there is nothing to add from Veeam side. We are thinking about workarounds @Backup_Guy (yes, the forums are run by R&D / product management. so requests for improvements are seen by the right people)

I'm not sure what the question / answer to @AlexLeadingEdge post could be :-)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Sorry Hannes, it was just a comment, not an issue for Veeam :)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello folks,

Thanks for your feedback, we will review it with the development team. Cheers!
DatatoSecure
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: François Picard

Post by DatatoSecure »

Good day,

I know this post is somewhat old, but after doing a bit of reading it seems one has to enable the LongPathsEnabled setting in the registry first.

The Windows Long Path setting became available with Windows 10 (1607 build) therefore available to Windows Server 2016; 2019; 2022; and Windows 11.
Reference: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... s=registry

Therefore it seems, to be confirmed, current Veeam software supports the Windows Long Path setting since this is determined by the O/S.

To Veeam: perhaps a KB article on this would be good.

Regards