Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Catsrules
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Hard Drive shrinking

Post by Catsrules »

I have a server with 1TB drive that I would like to move to a 250GB SSD. There is only 100GB used on the 1TB drive so it should have no problem fitting on a 250GB SSD.

However Veeam is not able to resize the volume to fit on the smaller drive. It tries when I select the drive and tell it to restore to the drive it saids it is to big and needs to shrink the drive, I say ok to that, and Veeam thinks about it for 10 minutes or so then it ends up giving me an error saying it can't fit the volume on the drive and to choose a another drive.

I have tried to shrink the drive using windows Disk management but it can only shrink it to 400GB. However after looking into this, the problem most likely is with a page file or a file currently in use on the running system. But I don't see why this would be a problem with Veeam because it is using an offline backup.

Any suggestions?

*Edit
Sorry a little bit more details,
Veeam Endpoint Version 1.1.2.119
Windows 7 Ent x64
I am restoring using the bare mettle restore, using a newly created recovery media created from Endpoint Version 1.1.2.119
agolubnichy
Influencer
Full Name: Alexey Golubnichy

Re: Hard Drive shrinking

Post by agolubnichy »

Dear Castrules,

It appears that Windows is unable to move certain files on this drive, this is why Disk Management throws the error during shrinking.

Do you have support case? If not, please create one from Veeam Endpoint Backup UI > Support > Technical Support. We may need to collect more information from you to see what can be done about this.

Kind regards,
Alexey
Catsrules
Influencer

Post by Catsrules »

No I have not, I will create a case today, and see what can be done.

Thanks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Also,

After creating the case, do the action again and then save the logs through the recovery media (you can do that under the tools section). Upload it to a OneDrive, Dropbox something else and give it to the support engineer that will look at your case

Thanks

Mike