Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
baber
Veteran
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Babak Seyedi nejad

How can install veeam agent for windows remotely on physical server

Post by baber »

Hi

1-Is that possible install Veeam agent for windows remotely through veeam backup and replication server on physical server or i had to connect to physical server directly and install veeam agent for windows on that server ?

2- Do i have to install .lic file on veeam backup and replication server or had to install it manually for each physical server in veeam agent for windows?

BR
Babak
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: How can install veeam agent for windows remotely on physical server

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Babak,
Is that possible install Veeam agent for windows remotely through veeam backup and replication server on physical server or i had to connect to physical server directly and install veeam agent for windows on that server ?
Yes, you can do that: as a part of Veeam B&R Agent Management feature you can deploy agents via Veeam B&R console by adding the desired machines to the Protection Group.
Do i have to install .lic file on veeam backup and replication server or had to install it manually for each physical server in veeam agent for windows?
Agent license must be installed in Veeam B&R if you plan to manage your agents centrally via Veeam B&R console.
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

i want to know

Does install veeam agent for windows in both of mode manage by backup server and manage by agent ?

BR
Babak
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Babak,

It's not possible to install agent via Veeam B&R server but control configuration locally, so in both cases (managed by backup server and managed by agent job type) job configuration is going to be controlled by Veeam B&R.
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

After add physical server to veeam . there is an option (install driver) would you say what is this option ?

BR
Babak
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Here is a dedicated Help Center article: Veeam Changed Block Tracking Driver. Kindly, take a look at let me know if you have any questions. Cheers!
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

i was read that but could not understand clearly CBT ability . but since i know CBT in veeam during backup from vms work and useful for get incremental backups and can increase backup speed during incremental backup
now i want to know is the same function in veeam agent for windows ?

BR
Babak
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

Can anyone help me ?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Generally idea remains the same. Veeam CBT driver is a driver for volume level backup that helps Windows agent to keep track of changed data blocks in a more efficient way, as a result you get faster incremental backups.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Post by ejenner »

Are you saying you want to push the agent to a physical server from the Backup & Replication console... but then configure it for local management? If you were doing that, why not do the installation locally as well? Only possible reason I can think you might want to do that is a permissions problem? i.e. you're not able to install the agent locally because you don't have the necessary rights?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Only possible reason I can think you might want to do that is a permissions problem?
That's wont work. Once agent configuration is controlled by Veeam B&R all UIs are in lock down mode, so user is not able to change anything. That's said users sill can click Backup Now or perform recoveries.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Post by ejenner »

Just trying to work out why you would want to deploy using B&R console but control it locally?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

There might be a few cases when Service Provider knows nothing about client setup and local admin can do a precise config tuning. With such thought we implemented the ability to overwrite the job settings locally but such feature is available for agents managed by Veeam Availability Console.