Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
danswartz
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

How does backup to a veeam repository work?

Post by danswartz »

More specifically, where (if anywhere) can you specify the backup proxy to use? In my case, I have a windows server 2012R2 VM which is the main proxy used by the veeam server. Because it has a VM Direct Path 50gb/sec NIC, I can't back it up normally (no snapshots), so I installed veeam agent for windows, and it backs up to... the same veeam repository it is the proxy for. It *seems* to be backing up okay, but this seems a bit of a chicken&egg situation :) I have another VM that is a DC for the domain which I use as a proxy for special cases (like if the main proxy is down for whatever reason.) Looking at the configuration wizard in the agent, there seems to be nowhere to specify the proxy to use, and if I look at the agent backup log on the veeam server, I see no reference to a proxy being used (unlike normal backup jobs.) Is it in fact even using a proxy? If so, is that information just hidden somehow? If this is a bad way to back up the proxy, I suppose I can add another virtual disk to the proxy VM and 'back up to local storage'. Any thoughts welcome :)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: How does backup to a veeam repository work?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Dan,

Agents do not rely on VM proxies, so backup will go over network (agent acts like backup proxy on it's own and keep the direct connection with target repository or it's gateway server).
danswartz
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

Re: How does backup to a veeam repository work?

Post by danswartz »

Thanks!