Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
zizka
Lurker
Liked: never

Incremental files set

Post by zizka »

Hello, is there any possibility where to see a list of updated/deleted/added files between incremental backups? Or the only option is to restore those two restore points in question and compare them manually?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Incremental files set

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Veeam does vm-based / block-based / image-based backup. There are no files involved. The software does not know anything about the filesystem or files inside the VM during backup. So there is no way to show which files were added.

Best regards,
Hannes
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

zizka wrote: Mar 31, 2022 10:09 pm Or the only option is to restore those two restore points in question and compare them manually?
Instead of an entire restore, you should be able to publish both restore points with the Veeam Data Integration API and then use powershell to compare both mounted restore points. This way, you don‘t need to provide the storage for an entire restore.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
zizka
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by zizka »

Well, but I am not doing a VM backup, I am doing an incremental Windows Agent Backup, that is also image or block-based?
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

If it's volume level, as far as I know, it's not touching the files directly.

You can do this though:

1. Mount two points as FLR; they usually attach to the mount server at C:\VeeamFLR (I say usually as you can change the mount location)
2. Use a tool like robocopy, diff, or stock Powershell Compare-Item to compare the mounted VeeamFLR directories. You can automate this with Veeam cmdlets to see which mount point is given to each session. (WARNING: Collecting data with powershell will be slow :/ it's not bash and it's pretty slow to enumerate hundreds of thousands of items. I'd use other cmdline utilities)
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I moved your question to the Veeam Agent for Windows forum. Yes, most cases are block-based / image based for VAW. There is file-based backup, but for performance reasons you probably want to avoid that.

For standalone VAW, the suggestion by Harvey is probably the easiest one.

Best regards,
Hannes