Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
dcarbone
Lurker
Liked: never

Is the version(s) of SMB supported by Create Recovery Media limited to Host conf?

Post by dcarbone »

First I am absolutely no Windows expert so excuse me if these are ignorant questions, but I'd like to have two things clarified:
  1. Is the version of SMB supported by the Recovery Media creation tool limited to versions that are supported by the host OS? If so, why? This seems like a very bizarre thing.
  2. I keep seeing references to phrases similar to "it uses system components during creation". What system components? How does it use them? Why does it use them, given that it just needs to be a live CD?
Any clarification anybody can provide on this issue would be welcome.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Is the version(s) of SMB supported by Create Recovery Media limited to Host conf?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community dcarbone.
Is the version of SMB supported by the Recovery Media creation tool limited to versions that are supported by the host OS? If so, why?
Recovery Media is created from Windows Recovery Environment components, so it keeps all the benefits and limitations of the existing operating system.
I keep seeing references to phrases similar to "it uses system components during creation". What system components? How does it use them? Why does it use them, given that it just needs to be a live CD?
Windows Recovery Environment components are used to build the lightweight bootable Windows image, during it's creation we add our recovery engine to the image.