Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AndyH
Influencer
Liked: never

Largest dataset suitable for Veeam Agent

Post by AndyH »

What is the largest dataset that Veeam feel should be backed up by Veeam Agent?

I am currently having problems backing up a 35TB file server with Veeam, mostly caused by the fact that you can only configure a single job and that Veeam writes everything to a single file. A single 35TB vbk, with associated vibs, is massively unwieldy.

We use Veeam for everything else, but I'm having to consider an alternative system for this file server.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Largest dataset suitable for Veeam Agent

Post by Dima P. »

Hi AndyH,

The only limit is 64TB for VSS snapshot, so backup should work in your case. It’s true that VAW has one backup job now, however, you can use standalone full, active full or synthetic full backups to create a periodic full backups. For instance, standalone full backup is not affected by retention, so you can move it between repositories of your choice, if that’s required.
AndyH
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: Largest dataset suitable for Veeam Agent

Post by AndyH »

Thanks for your reply Dima.

I appreciate that it 'should' work, but I can't help but think that agent backups just aren't suitable for massive file servers. I just can't see how Veeam's monolithic vbk architecture realistically scales? To take it to the extreme, how can a single 64TB file be a good idea?

An option to split the backup into separate files of a manageable size would be welcome.