Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
riy
Novice
Liked: never

Launch Veeam Endpoint service as a different user - how???

Post by riy »

Hello!
By security reasons, I need to launch Veeam Endpoint Backup service not as Local System (as it launches by default), but as a different user (for example, backup). I change this in Computer Management -> Services, but the service can not start. It stops with the message: "The Veeam Endpoint Backup service on Local Computer started and than stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."
But I`ve read on this forum, that it can be done!
Can anyone help?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Launch Veeam Endpoint service as a different user - how?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi riy,

I believe this was asked before and switching local system account to local admin works. Feel free to test it and let us know the results. Could you clarify what policy you have in your company – this might help us to understand the use case better.

P.S. A friendly reminder - testing should not be performed on a production server.
riy
Novice

Post by riy »

That was asked, but for Enterprise Veeam services.
In my case it`s quick and simple: i`m creating a local administrator account "backup" with some password, and after that change the user name the service logs on with. Restart it, it shuts down and does not start with the message.
riy
Novice

Post by riy »

So, my task is to backup a local host and make my backups unavailable to ransomware. I can see 2 ways to do this:
1. Launch Veeam Endpoint Backup service as a different user and give this user a permission to have access to backups store folder. Other users and Local System must have no access there;
2. Use a network share on a local computer, and backup to it with some credentials, that only have access to backup store.
None of this is working.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

riy,

And destination would be a local drive or USB drive, right?
riy
Novice

Post by riy »

A local drive, yes.
riy
Novice

Post by riy »

So, really no one knows how to do it?! It`s very strange it is not working by default, there must be a simple solution!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

I am sorry to keep you waiting. Just tested an option to start service under different account. In my case I used personal local admin account and it worked. Theoretically, you can create a dedicated local admin account, setup permissions to the repository, use it to start VEB service and that’s it.
tgcs
Lurker
Full Name: Tom Gibson

Post by tgcs »

You say this worked when you ran it as a Local Admin account, what about a Domain Admin account? We have been testing Veeam Endpoint Backup Free but can't get the service to run as anything other than 'Local System' on our domain controller. Thanks.