Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
doctordoolittle
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Whitford

Licensing confusion

Post by doctordoolittle »

Hello,

Can someone please help me with some licensing confusion i am having?

I have the following questions:

- If i buy Backup Essentials Enterprise Plus 10 instances, does that include 10 instances of Agent for Windows Server, or do i need to buy 10 instances of Agent For Windows Server in addition to the 10 instances of Backup Essentials?

- Do any servers running Agent for Windows Server count towards the 6 socket limitation of Backup Essentials or is the 6 socket limitation of Backup Essentials only for virtualized machines running Backup Essentials?

- Is there any way to get Agent for Windows Server working on MS Windows Server 2003 or is it only 2008 and up?

Thanks a lot!
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Licensing confusion

Post by wishr »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums and thanks for posting your questions! Please find the answers below.

1. The new instance-based licensing scheme implies that instances could be "spent" on any workloads (physical and virtual) including Agents. You can find more information on the new licensing in that recent thread. Also, we've just released a new Instance-based licensing calculator! Worth checking.

2. Perpetual socket licenses can be only "spent" on virtual workloads, this type of license is specifically designed for B&R products, while new instance-based licenses are cross-product, thus, more flexible.

3. Unfortunately, VAW can be used to back up Windows OS family starting with Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Windows Server 2003 is not supported by Microsoft either.

Should you have any additional questions - just let us know!

Regards,
Fedor
doctordoolittle
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Whitford

Post by doctordoolittle »

Thanks Fedor, that sounds great.

If Backup Essentials includes the Agent For Windows Server to backup my 7 physical servers as well as my 2 virtuals then it's the ideal product for my small business. It gives me the flexibility to migrate to virtualized servers at my own pace as well without needing 2 different backup solutions.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

doctordoolittle wrote: Feb 04, 2019 8:19 pmIt gives me the flexibility to migrate to virtualized servers at my own pace as well without needing 2 different backup solutions.
In fact, your scenario is the exact reason why we've introduced non-product specific Instance licensing :D previously, you'd have to maintain two sets of licenses (for virtual and physical servers), and constantly convert one into other over the course of your migration.

But with Instance licensing, what matters (and what is licensed) is a protected workload... so it does not matter what platform it runs on at the given moment, and what Veeam product do you use to protect one.