Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
spgsit5upport
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Seb

Logon user change = all backup lost

Post by spgsit5upport »

If I backup my machines as domain\userA then all the backups are in folder domain_userA
But if I change logon user to domain\userB and create by hand folder domain_userB & edit .vim files to point accordingly, I still get the LOT deleted & new backup copy created as of NOW only

Any idea how to properly"move" the existing backup? I only need to change logon name

Seb
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Logon user change = all backup lost

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Seb,

What is the backup target in the question? Is that Veeam repository or shared folder? Thanks!
spgsit5upport
Expert

Post by spgsit5upport »

Veeam Repo
chjones
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Chris Jones

Post by chjones »

Is the backup repo on the same server as VBR or a separate server? And what account are the VBR windows services running as? The account the services run as are the credentials Veeam uses to read the backup files from the repository.

Also, to move backup files to another repository there is no need to edit .vim files. To do it you do this:

1. Ensure no Veeam jobs are running, disable all jobs targeting that repository to ensure no job tries to run
2. In the VBR console, on the Home screen, expand Backups > Disk, and for all backups that are located in that repository (use the Repository column to validate this), right-click and select "Remove from configuration"
4. Copy the contents of the repository folder another location
5. In the VBR Console, on the Backup Infrastructure tab, add a new Backup Repository that points to this new folder location
6. Select the checkbox during the repository wizard to import existing backups (your disk backups will re-appear under Home > Backups > Disk)
4. Update all existing backups and point them at the new repository
5. Remove the old repository from the Backup Infrastructure tab
spgsit5upport
Expert

Post by spgsit5upport »

Typo, concourse not .vim, but .vbm (xml file)

repo is on different server
VEB is in standalone mode, service running as Local System (as it always did). Only change is the logon user specified during backup job config

There is NO change in Repository, it is only logon user change, at which point VEB creates new subfolder
spgsit5upport
Expert

Post by spgsit5upport »

Sadly a BUG:
Had confirmation from support (pity it took 3 days to get this info!)

unfortunately, this is the expected behavior for now - specifying the new user for Veeam Backup&Replication server connection causes the new backup chain to be started. This behavior is categorized as known issue and is going to be fixed in the further updates
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Seb,

Can you please share the case ID to let me review the case details? Thank you in advance!
spgsit5upport
Expert

Post by spgsit5upport »

Case # 03323640
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Seb,

Sorry for the delay. I reviewed the case details and the explanation looks right - the permission for the backup access is set for a user specified in the job settings.

On the repository level you can specify the permissions for computer account instead of the user account, so I wonder if it's possible to use the computer account instead of user account to avoid such issues in future? Cheers!