Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
dmakin
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Maki

Managing Standalone Endpoints with Powershell

Post by dmakin »

Hello community,

I am working for an MSP that deploys a combination of Veeam B&R servers and countless free standalone endpoint agents (basically all Windows agents).

While I understand that Powershell management of B&R servers is possible through the installation of the console, so far I have been unsuccessful in confirming if the same module is capable of communicating with and managing free endpoints like "Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows [free edition]". Ie. I am referencing https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

No worries if it's not supported (it's not the paid version anyway); I am only asking for confirmation.

Thanks in advance,
D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Managing Standalone Endpoints with Powershell

Post by Gostev »

Hi, David. Does your management realize that your company practices are in direct violation of the Veeam Licensing Policy, which specifically prohibits the usage of free product offerings to deliver any type of services to 3rd parties?
dmakin
Novice

Post by dmakin »

Hi Gostev,

I reckon they haven't read the Licensing Policy, only the technicals and if it fits their requirements. They do strive to meet compliance largely. Thanks for tipping me off. I'll have to read the policy and inform them to abort distribution or upgrade to B&R.

David.

Update: I am reading https://www.veeam.com/licensing-policy.html so I can forward the information along. I do not see any mention of being disallowed to distribute the Agent for Windows. Only that it is not covered under Support and Maintenance and that the source infrastructure cannot be shared with the Community Edition. Could you indicate this for me?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Apologies, I meant to say Veeam EULA of course https://www.veeam.com/eula.html
dmakin
Novice

Post by dmakin »

Thank you for the clarification, Gostev.

Suppose this MSP acknowledges that supporting clients with a Free Edition of a Veeam agent should be corrected. What are their options in terms of remediating EULA violations?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

They should license the product using the Rental licensing, which is that "specific Veeam license" mentioned in paragraph 2.0:
You may not (directly or indirectly through any employee, contractor, consultant, agent or other representative): ... (b) process third-party data (as a service provider), provide commercial hosting or support services, sublicense, rent or lease, in whole or in part, the Software to another party, or otherwise use the Software on a service bureau basis, without purchasing a specific Veeam license to do so
Starting point is to sign-up with Veeam as a VCSP > https://www.veeam.com/service-providers.html
dmakin
Novice

Post by dmakin »

Thanks Gostev.

I will forward this along.

Regards,
D
TristanKristensen
Novice

Post by TristanKristensen »

Hi David

To get back to your original question.
In my experience the PowerShell Module that Veeam Backup & Replication Console provides ('Veeam.Backup.PowerShell') only allows PowerShell management of Veeam Agent Endpoint if the Endpoint is managed by a Veeam Backup & Replication Server (VBR) itself.
Haven't had any luck using the module for completely standalone Veeam Agent Endpoints. :(

With that said Chris Taylor has made an unofficial PowerShell Module 'VeeamAgent' wich makes use of the local Database that Veeam Agent deploys during installation.
You may find on PowerShellGallery here https://www.powershellgallery.com/packa ... nt/0.2.1.0 or search for "VeeamAgent" on PowerShellGallery.
Remember this is unofficial so use at your own risk - Having skimmed through some of the code myself on their GitHub page, I haven't found anything out of place :D