Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
andrewoid
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: André Freitas

More restore points than configured

Post by andrewoid »

Hello,
If read through the forum's other topics similar to mine a but I still can't figure out how I can avoid having more restore points than configured. the scenario is the following:
- I'm using Veeam Agent for Windows Free
- I want to backup up only on weekdays
- I've set up 14 days of retention

Why do I have more restore points (for example 23) than retention days? Is it because I don't have 14 days in a row of backups?

I've read https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=60 and https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Those FFIB applies also to Veeam Agent for Windows?

All the help is appreciated.
Best regards,
André
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: More restore points than configured

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

If you have 23 restore points if you only configured default settings and 14 days, that sounds strange. I would guess for a "monthly active full" configuration or something like that.

Forever Forward Incremental Backup is the default setting for Veeam Agent for Windows. With that setting, 14 restore points (assuming maximum one restore point per day) would be the maximum number of restore points.

Best regards,
Hannes
andrewoid
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: André Freitas

Post by andrewoid »

Hi Hannesk,
Thank you for the welcome and the quick reply.
The only settings I've changed was increasing the default retention days from 7 to 14 and to backup only on weekdays. I didn't configure to create full active backups.
Thanks for pointing that you. In fact, in some cases I have more than one restore point per day. Will the logs tell me the reason why I have more than one restore point per day? I know that repo had storage issues, but today I was able to increase the storage. Could also be the merging process was unable to complete? I'll keep a close eye on the backups for the next 14 days.
Thank you again.
Best regards,
André
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, the logs have information on every job run. They are in C:\programdata\veeam\...
Could also be the merging process was unable to complete?
possible, but that should throw errors

Best regards,
Hannes