Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jmccracken112
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Josh M

MySQL Hot-Backup on Windows 7 Physical Workstation

Post by jmccracken112 » May 22, 2019 8:24 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for some scripting help to create a hot-backup using mysqldump.

I have a MySQL database running on a Windows 7 x64 Pro physical computer. I have the Veeam job created and understand I need to run the mysqldump script under: Storage > Advanced Settings > Scripts. I am not a MySQL DBA, so I do not know how the script needs to look. I'm hoping there are others in my shoes that have a pre-made script I could look at. I can't be the only one right?

Couple concerns I have:
-Performance on the MySQL database side. I have a few systems with 20-50GB database sizes. These are 24/7 production systems I need to backup. My concern is this will put a large strain on the system resources during the mysqldump.
-Where the mysqldump is being stored. If the script is being run from the Veeam server, is the dump file being processed/saved on the veeam server? I'd like it to save on the local mysql server first to avoid network lag issues.

Thanks for your help.

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 410 times

Re: MySQL Hot-Backup on Windows 7 Physical Workstation

Post by HannesK » May 23, 2019 12:21 pm

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

the veeam mysql whitepaper should help you

Best regards,
Hannes

jmccracken112
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Josh M

Re: MySQL Hot-Backup on Windows 7 Physical Workstation

Post by jmccracken112 » May 23, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi HannesK,

I've read through that whitepaper, but is for Linux VM -- this does not help me on a physical Windows agent. (The theory part, yes, but the scripting examples, no).
I'm explicitly asking for some scripting help here.

Thank-you,
Josh