Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
WORKS2019
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: RJ Cowan

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows cannot be configured because it managed by your system administrator.

Post by WORKS2019 »

I've posted other threads here and spent over and hour with Veeam support trying to get an agent to install on a workstation and another on a server. Still fails with "Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows cannot be configured because it managed by your system administrator." THANK GOD I'm on the trial software.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows cannot be configured because it managed by your system administrator.

Post by nielsengelen »

Since you are working with support already, it’s best to continue working with them.

Most likely a proper uninstall will resolve it as it looks like you’ve installed the agent with the goal of backing up to VBR. Since we don’t know the fine details of the steps you’ve performed nor the support case ID, we can’t really assist you via the forums anymore. As I can see in the other thread, we’ve already did our best to help you in regards to re-instelling the software.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows cannot be configured because it managed by your system administrator.

Post by Dima P. »

RJ,

I am sorry to heat that! Any chance these machines are added to Veeam B&R server or Veeam Availability Console? You get this message only in case agent installed on the machine via backup server or availability console (since it should be managed centrally by backup admin). Please share your case ID if you got it. Thank you!
WORKS2019
Enthusiast

Post by WORKS2019 »

Ticket number: 03602573

They were added by the B&R Server which I found out later they need to be configured locally. This is interesting since the server will push the agent. Why do so if it's this problematic? Something happening that is frustrating is I removed all Veeam components from a server and workstation, ran a registry clean, removed the network cable, cleaned out temp folders in the Appdata\Roaming and Program Data folder and still get the error. Found a Veeam service running after all this which means (and it's obvious) that the WIndows Agent is not completely uninstalling. At this point after taking all these steps I believe the Windows Agent could use an uninstaller module. Something maybe Veeam engineers can look into. When I install the agent which then renders the option to do anything is frustrating. I ended up creating a backup job from the B&R Server to make a backup but this is a work around and not a solution.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

RJ,

Have you tried to remove this agent from Veeam B&R console? In Veeam B&R console go to Inventory node, find the protection group with this machine and right click the host and under agent menu select Uninstall. Once done, remove the host from the protection group. This will break the link between Veeam B&R server and agent machine, so you can install agent manually and use it in standalone mode (controlled locally). Let us know if that helps, cheers!
WORKS2019
Enthusiast

Post by WORKS2019 »

How would uninstalling from the B&R Server explain the workstation with no network cable attached and all the other things I mentioned above?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello RJ,

If the host has been registered with Veeam B&R console then most of the user actions will be blocked to make sure that end users wont re-configure backup job or uninstall backup agent. Due to this reason the agent runs in Read-Only mode with some of the actions blocked. If the mentioned machine does not have connection to Veeam B&R server, you might need to remove the Veeam registry hive, database and then uninstall Veeam Agent for Windows. Please keep working with our support team, they'll assist you with removal procedure. Let us know how it goes, thank you!
jdrch
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Post by jdrch » 1 person likes this post

@ OP: Can confirm that Dima P's solution worked for me when I had this issue too. You'll have to completely uninstall and then reinstall Veeam Agent.

In my experience unless you're on a domain using group policy it's best to install B&R on the server and then manually install and set up Agent (including backup jobs) individually on each client, using Veeam B&R Repository (server; Agent will ask you to enter the server's credentials) as the backup destination. I tried doing the whole push from B&R thing myself previously and none of my backups would run 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully this helps.