Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Zek
Service Provider
Liked: 12 times

OneDrive repository performance improvement

Post by Zek »

The OneDrive repository has always been very slow in Veeam Backup. According to forum information and documentation, this is caused by slow file access through the Onedrive API, although I don’t understand why then to use this slow API at all. In my practice, the speed of data recovery from backup is 1-2MBite/s maximum, while the bandwidth of the Internet channel is at least 500Mbit/s, and the speed of downloading onedrive data through a native application is about 350Mbit/s. IMHO, this is a non-working solution with current data sizes, for a 1 TB disk recovery take almost a week.
The question is, is it possible to increase the recovery recovery speed by preloading the veeambackup folder from Onedrive to a local drive or NAS using native onedrive app? Open Veeam onedrive backup files without using the API?
If the problem is slow initial accesss time to file through API, with a large number of blocks in the backup, mb it's possible to increase the block size to values that allow to reach normal speed?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: OneDrive repository performance improvement

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Zek,

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about performance: upload/download speed is fully controlled by Microsoft OneDrive engine; during backup /restore operations Veeam Agent becomes throttled by OneDrive which impacts throughput.
this is a non-working solution with current data sizes, for a 1 TB disk recovery take almost a week
I'd suggest to use only file level backup with the needed context included instead of preforming entire computer backup or volume level backup. Cheers!