Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
NickViz1
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Nikolai Vorontsov

Peculiar point in license agreement

Post by NickViz1 »

Hello everybody,

well, recent mania of all companies to gather user data forced me to read license agreement carefully.

I've found a strange point in Veeam LA for VAW:
12.0 Audit. During the term of this Agreement and for a period of one year thereafter, Veeam may, during normal business hours and upon reasonable prior notice to End User, inspect the files, computer processors, equipment and facilities of End User to verify End User's compliance with this EULA.

Can Veeam support/sales explain more what kind of audit can be conducted for usual VAW users? If not - why this point is in VAW LA?

Nikolai
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Peculiar point in license agreement

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Veeam support/sales explain more
probably yes, but the forums are mainly run by R&D :-) So contacting your local sales rep is probably the best way.

For me it looks like a license audit term. A similar one can be found for example in VMware EULA https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digi ... l_eula.pdf

Best regards,
Hannes
NickViz1
Enthusiast

Post by NickViz1 »

Hello Hannes,

well, I'm talking about free VAW version that I'm using at home. I don't have any license, but according to EULA Veeam may " inspect the files, computer processors, equipment and facilities of End User" at my home :-) I understand the low probability of such action, but I guess it would be nice to have distinct licenses for paid and free versions.

Now I'm simply a bit afraid and start to think if any competitors with more reasonable license exist.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Nikolai,

Thank you for your feedback. Only support logs are collected whenever you are opening support case via product's UI (there is a corresponding checkbox on the support form, so we collecting the logs only if you are ok with it). Log location is C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint and you can examine the content of every file, before submitting the case. Cheers!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

I guess the main issue here is that we don't have a separate EULA for home users. But to be fair, home users were never a target for Veeam in the first place, as we're purely B2B company. So, it's hard to justify maintaining a separate EULA infrastructure just because of them.

Besides, I met small MSPs before who were running parts of their production infrastructure in their home's basement, so it would be a mistake to exclude "home use" from rights to audit? It's not like we ever actually used this right to my knowledge, but as noted before - this is the standard clause most companies want to have in their EULA, so supposedly there are some good legal reasons for that!

I do not share but I do understand your concern though, and will understand it if you choose to switch to a "competing" free solution for your home just based on these grounds.
NickViz1
Enthusiast

Post by NickViz1 »

Hello everybody,

thanks for your explanation, that makes sense.

Nikolai