Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
netmonkey
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Prevent Endpoint from backing up SQL on a SQL server

Post by netmonkey »

Hi -

I have a physical windows 2008R2 server running SQL 2008R2
the same server also has a large file share (1TB) on a dedicated volume (drive F:\)

I want to use Endpoint to backup that file share on the F:\ drive, but not touch anything else
We have a third party SQL backup tool that takes care of SQL backups on that server and I want to carry on using that for the SQL stuff

Couple of questions -

1. Will Endpoints SQL2012 express install interfere with our SQL2008R2 install on that server
2. If I configure Endpoint to use "Volume level backup" or "File level backup" on the file share F:\ drive, will Endpoints "application aware" feature definitely ignore our SQL2008R2 databases

I just want Endpoint to backup the file share folder - nothing else.

regards!
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Prevent Endpoint from backing up SQL on a SQL server

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

If you configure File Level Backup and choose that single folder than nothing with SQL should be backed up.

Cheers!
VMCE v9
netmonkey
Influencer

Post by netmonkey »

No luck with this...

I tried the "File Level backup (slower)" option, selected a single 30Mb folder for testing and ran the job.
the destination was a B&R repository elsewhere on our network.

20 mins later the job was sat at 99% complete

I went into 2008R2 Management studio and into the SQL logs and sure enough Endpoint was in the middle of doing Log backups of all our production databases.

Looks like the "application aware" feature in Endpoint can't help itself if it detects SQL installed... even if you're doing just a file level backup.

is there a registry tweak maybe to turn this off?

cheers...
netmonkey
Influencer

Post by netmonkey » 1 person likes this post

May have found something on this - there's a thread from last year discussing the same issue.

veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/endpoint-back ... 78-15.html

looks like adding a registry key of 'DWORD value VSSForceCopyOnly = 1' disables endpoints 'application awareness' feature and stops it trying to backup any SQL/Exchange/AD etc it finds...

would like confirmation of this from someone at veeam if possible?

cheers.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

Indeed, VEB performs logs truncation by default when it is installed on a Windows Server. The described key should disable log truncation.