Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Neil Murphy

Problem restoring SQL database

Post by neilmurphy65 »

Hi All,

I've been experimenting with Windows Agent 2.2 and VBR 9.5 U3a. I've successfully created an agent backup of a Windows 2012 server that runs SQL Server Express. Bare metal restore works fine as does FLR. Where I have problems is restoring SQL objects. I can launch the SQL explorer and find a backed up database that I backed up as part of the image-level job and then deleted. The problem comes when I select the option to restore the database - it tells me that my Windows credentials are incorrect and prompts me to enter them again. I'm using the Domain admin for everything so I should have full rights. The SQL authorisation method is mixed SQL + AD. I've disabled the firewall on the target system. Nothing works.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Neil.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: Problem restoring SQL database

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Hi Niel - In SQL Server, a Domain Admin is not necessarily a sysadmin role. Does that make sense? Basically the Windows side is likey fine - meaning if you restored files to the OS it would be fine.
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast

Post by neilmurphy65 »

Hi Rick,

It does make sense. However, I had added the domain admin to the logins in SQL server and given it the sysadmin role. I also made it owner of the database before I backed up the server.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Is that the same job used for the application-aware processing of the backup job? That may be an acct to try?
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast

Post by neilmurphy65 »

Yep, same account used for application-aware processing and restore operation. Strangely, the error doesn't say something like "insufficient rights". It says that the username or password is wrong. Naturally, I have double- and triple-checked the password and entered the username in every format I can think of (username@domain, domain\username, etc).
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast

Post by neilmurphy65 »

I worked it out. The Veeam server had no way of communicating with the remote SQL server instance as no network protocols were enabled. I enabled Named Pipes and restores work perfectly now.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software

Post by Rick.Vanover » 1 person likes this post

Ahhh.. That will do it. Thanks for letting us know - Named Pipes is an "oldie but a goodie" in SQL troubleshooting lore!
Michaelclask
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michaelclask

Problem restoring SQL database

Post by Michaelclask »

I tried it, but everything same.

Is this problem depend on Language encoding?

Best regards.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Michaelclask.

Root cause could be infrastructure specific, so debug log analysis is required. If you experience the same behavior please open a support case and share the case Id this this thread. Thanks!