Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

protecting a single vm on a 2008 r2 hyper-v host

Post by frankive »

Hi.
We are soon planning to migrate a single vm running on a a 2008 r2 hyper-v host to another hyper-v host which is protected by Veeam B&R.
Until then, will the host (or in particular the vm) be enough protected by running endpoint from the host?
It is just a fileserver, no special applications.

Any experience restore the vm from a host endpoint backup? would the best way to just restore the .vhd inside the backup file?
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: protecting a single vm on a 2008 r2 hyper-v host

Post by jmmarton »

You'd be better off to install Endpoint directly in the VM and back it up as if it was a physical machine.

Joe
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

what would be the best way to rotate usb-drives with that scenario without any manual intervention? (beside the actual physical switching)
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Is there any particular reason you want to use rotating USB drives? Why not just target the current Veeam repository used by VBR which is protecting the other host? Endpoint can be configured to send its backups there, too.

Joe
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

I know, but for know the customer dont have a VBR environment at all, just a single host with 1 vm.
I am fully aware of the different solutions with VBR and endpoint but are particular interested if Endpoint actually can protect a single hyper-v host with their VMs.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Frank,

The process of USB rotating devices is described here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/1 ... vices.html

The problem is... Passing that USB device to your VM which is a problem on a Hyper-V VM...

I personally would dive into the free Veeam Backup & Replication product and use VeeamZIP to do the backup of that VM (you can even use that backup afterwards then to migrate it to the new host). Scheduling is possible also through PowerShell: https://www.veeam.com/blog/veeam-backup ... shell.html

My 2 cents
M/