Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jh906
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: JH

Question regarding restoring from backup files

Post by jh906 »

Hello,

Currently I am creating a backup of a PC to an external drive, and everything is working great! I am creating a monthly full backup, and then an incremental backup daily. I am then looking to offload these backups to an external site, such as Amazon S3/Dropbox/Etc.

However, due to the current limitations of internet speeds offered in my area, especially upload, I am experiencing extremely long upload times. To combat this I am looking to minimize the amount of data that has to be uploaded to the cloud service.

So my question is a bit of an odd one... if I were wanting to restore anything at all, do I need all of the files? Meaning, do I need all the .vib files, or would only the .vbm and .vbk files allow me to do a partial restore? I'm fully aware that by excluding the .vib files I would be losing out on any changes between full backups.

Or is there another suggestion someone can offer?

I appreciate all responses!

Edit: Should have elaborated, to upload the .vbm/.vbk files initially takes about 1.5-2 weeks, then by the time it's done there's already so many files that need to be uploaded and I worry that they won't finish before the next full backup, at which point they would fall out of retention. Could buy more storage so that I could increase the retention period, but the main problem would still exist :(.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Question regarding restoring from backup files

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,
jh906 wrote:if I were wanting to restore anything at all, do I need all of the files? Meaning, do I need all the .vib files, or would only the .vbm and .vbk files allow me to do a partial restore? I'm fully aware that by excluding the .vib files I would be losing out on any changes between full backups.
Yes, ideally all files are required to do the restore for all dates, but VBK file will only allow you to restore from that particular point only.
Or is there another suggestion someone can offer?
That's not a direct answer to your question, but have you considered using (trialing) Veeam cloud service providers in your area? They might be offering a seeding option (physically transferring data to their location) which can solve the upload speed issue.

Thank you!
jh906
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: JH

Post by jh906 »

And then if I wanted to restore from a .vib, I would need all of the files in the chain, correct?
That's not a direct answer to your question, but have you considered using (trialing) Veeam cloud service providers in your area? They might be offering a seeding option (physically transferring data to their location) which can solve the upload speed issue.
Could you link me to an example of one just so I can get an idea of what I'm looking for? I searched for both Veeam cloud service providers and seeding in my area, and couldn't find much.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

jh906 wrote:And then if I wanted to restore from a .vib, I would need all of the files in the chain, correct?
Correct.
jh906 wrote:Could you link me to an example of one just so I can get an idea of what I'm looking for? I searched for both Veeam cloud service providers and seeding in my area, and couldn't find much.
Try this link on our website to see if there is anyone nearby.