Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Ros44
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ros

Reducing the size of an archived backup folder

Post by Ros44 »

Good day, everyone! This my first post here.

I want to reduce the size of a backup folder that is no longer updated. The computer that used to backup its content to that folder broke down.

I want to keep the folder only for archiving purpose. I have two questions:

1. Thre are two *.temp files, one of which is 110Gb. Can I delete those *.temp files?

2. The backup folder contains one active fill backup and incremental backups for the last 12 days of computer's life. Is there a way I can keep the last day's backup only and delete the rest so that I can shrink the consumed space.

For the protocol - I did some googling and search in the forum but I was not able to find anything helpful.
Thank you!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Reducing the size of an archived backup folder

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Ros,

It's safe delete the temp folder, the backup files are .vbm, .vib and .vbk and you need those for recovery operations. Unfortunately it's not possible to 'compact existing chain' via Veeam Agent for Windows but you can use Export Backup functionality of elder brother - Veeam B&R Community Edition to create a full backup from any restore point. Hope that helps!
Ros44
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ros

Re: Reducing the size of an archived backup folder

Post by Ros44 » 1 person likes this post

Dmitry, hello,

Yes, it does! Thank you so much for both answers!

Best of luck!