Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
stewy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeremy

Remote Deployment & Configuration - Issues

Post by stewy »

I'm looking at the possibility of this agent across the company, but i'm hung up on 2 issues.

1.) There is an option to deploy the agent silently, but not configure. You can run a backup via CLI, but only after the product has been configured first. So basically, you'll be spending time on each workstation individually regardless. Well that's not fun (x ~300).

2.) It's nice to have the backups visible in B&R console. BUT. I work with remote sites, many of which use a central server over VPN as opposed to having their own, but they do have a NAS for local backup. There is no way to set the backup gateway to the remote location to prevent backups from going over the WAN to the central server, then BACK to the NAS at the local site (without a server at the remote location set up as a gateway server). So... this option is out too.

Love the fact that Veeam is branching out, and getting into the "Backup Everything" space... but there's just some basic needs that need to be addressed before I can use this at all. Anxiously waiting.
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Re: Remote Deployment & Configuration - Issues

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

They do have a Configurator that allows you to export the config from one agent and then import to another. I'm hung up on converting the password to my B&R repository as they are not exported and you have to encrypt them manually.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20
skochetkov
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Sergey Kochetkov

Post by skochetkov »

JoshuaPostSAMC wrote:They do have a Configurator that allows you to export the config from one agent and then import to another. I'm hung up on converting the password to my B&R repository as they are not exported and you have to encrypt them manually.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20
Hello,

You can use any online or offline encryptors for this
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

skochetkov wrote: You can use any online or offline encryptors for this
This isn't helpful for me, as this is exactly what I'm unclear on what to do. I don't feel comfortable putting a password into an online encryptor and not currently finding anything for offline. When I do look at some online ones for DES, I have to supply a Key or IV. What is used for this in regards to what Veeam is looking for? Does the XML files also need to know what the key is? Please explain it like I'm five.

I have another thread open asking for this same clarification
veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/encrypted-c ... 43081.html
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Post by vClintWyckoff »

stewy » Fri May 19, 2017 8:52 am

I'm looking at the possibility of this agent across the company, but i'm hung up on 2 issues.

1.) There is an option to deploy the agent silently, but not configure. You can run a backup via CLI, but only after the product has been configured first. So basically, you'll be spending time on each workstation individually regardless. Well that's not fun (x ~300).
Stewy-
I've completely automated the entire process with some very basic PowerShell so you're misunderstanding something.

https://github.com/VeeamHub/powershell/ ... Deploy-VAW - For the sample PS1

These are the install and configurator steps from the script:

Code: Select all

Start-Process -FilePath $Installer -Verb runas -ArgumentList "/silent /accepteula"

Start-Process Veeam.Agent.Configurator.exe -ArgumentList "-license /f:'$LicenseFile'"

Start-Process Veeam.Agent.Configurator.exe -ArgumentList "-import /f:'$ConfigFile'"