Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
millardjk
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Jim Millard

Repository management

Post by millardjk »

With "regular" backup, I can move backup files from one repo to another, rescan the new target repo and map the backup to the new location. Endpoint doesn't give me any of that control, but if it's going to be part of my infrastructure, I need it.

Example: I'm running out of space on one repo, but have free space that I can offer to an endpoint on a different repo. If I move the files, fine; but when the endpoint is changed to use the new endpoint, a new full backup is created because there's no way to rescan the repo and map the existing files to that endpoint.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Repository management

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jim,
Endpoint Backup should automatically rescan the configured backup destination (for local storage or shared folders) and continue the existing backup chain. Regarding the VBR repository: if you manually moved backup from one repository to another – rescan should be performed on the later repository. Once done the backup will be linked to existing Endpoint backup job automatically.
millardjk
Expert

Post by millardjk »

Based on my tests, the rescan isn't happening. I'm getting HOSTNAME_1, HOSTNAME_2, etc, in my repositories as I move things around.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jim,

What did you actually do? Dima is indeed correct in what he says, however, when you move data from one repo to another, you also need to change the "rights" of the users on that new repo and then go through the wizard on the client to point it to the new repo...

Just want to make sure that all steps are performed

Let us know

Mike
millardjk
Expert

Post by millardjk »

In my tests, I would move the endpoint folder from one repo to another, change the repo on the client and then allow the backup to run at the scheduled time. When I'd look at the repo the next day (my jobs are scheduled to run overnight), a new folder in the same parent directory (based on authentication) would be created with HOSTNAME_x, where x started with 1 and incremented as I moved things around. These repositories were originally remote windows hosts, but since then I've gone to adding additional disk (via iSCSI) to the Veeam server and using local folders with the same result.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Jim,
Then it looks like a bug for me. Could you please open a case and forward your results to support? Thank you in advance.