Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ThomasV2
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: ThomasV2

requirements of agent rollout from vb&r

Post by ThomasV2 »

Hi

I would like to ask for the
requirements of agent rollout
on windows clients.

I have ten win 10 ad clients and want an automatic rollout of the veeam windows agent from backup server

The clients have an activated firewall and no filesharing and no winrm activated.

Thanks in advance
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: requirements of agent rollout from vb&r

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Well, obviously you already ran into issues with your firewall. Please see user guide for the required ports. And you need administrator permissions for the installation & rescan.

You could also roll out with 3rd party software but I guess for 10 clients that would be overkill.

There is an unsupported workaround for normal Veeam components if there is no way to access admin$ share. I guess it also works for the agent but I did not test it. Manually install the installer service with VeeamDeploymentSvc.exe -install (last time I did it was 9.3U3 where I copied VeeamDeploymentDll.dll and VeeamDeploymentSvc.exe to “C:\Windows\Veeam\Backup and Replication”) and then rescan in inventory.

Best regards,
Hannes
ThomasV2
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: ThomasV2

Post by ThomasV2 »

Hello,

Thank you for fast answer. I read the guide two days before and was wondering about the huge count of firewall ports whose must be enabled.
According this link I have to apply more than 20 rules/ports to the client firewall? I can't belive it.

I have to roll out the firewall rules via GPO, because I have no physical access to the domian clients and no remote access via WMI, WinRM, RDP etc.
I am using only one server for all veeam services.

Can you offer a short text file with minimum firewall rules in this way:

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="All ICMP V4 Allow" dir=in action=allow protocol=icmpv4
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="SQLServer" dir=in action=allow protocol=TCP localport=1433 profile=DOMAIN

that are only examples ..

Thanks in advance
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

I can't belive it
I understand that this is unexpected but that's the way it is today. We are working on improvements but I cannot promise any timelines.

You probably don't need all rules... e.g. port 22 for Linux might be not a topic for you...