Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
marcio.ligi
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marcello

Restore backup of a Win7 PC to a Win11 PC

Post by marcio.ligi »

Hi there,
I have to do a migration of a Windows7 PC containing a delicate software, and I'm planning to backup with veeam this old Windows 7 PC, in order to restore it on a brand new Windows 11 PC.
Now, can I restore a Windows 7 backup on a Windows 11 PC? Will the new PC be automatically downgraded to Win7?
Obviously after that I will have to re-upgrade this new downgraded Win7 PC to Win11 again.
Is this a correct procedure?
Consider that this new PC will have to replace the old one, but I'm doing all of this because I don't want to reinstall this software which is currently running on Win 7 from scratch, because I'm not able to.
So I would like to make a copy of this PC already configured, and then re-upgrade to Win11, and finally replace the old PC with the new one after having done all the necessary tests.
Is this doable?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Restore backup of a Win7 PC to a Win11 PC

Post by Mildur »

Hi Marcello

Yes, it's doable. You can use bare metal recovery to recover a backup from your old windows to new hardware.

1.) Create a recovery media. Make sure to include network and disk driver from the new PC --> https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=60
2.) Boot your new computer with our recovery media and restore entire computer --> https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=60
3.) Upgrade your windows 7 to windows 11

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
marcio.ligi
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marcello

Re: Restore backup of a Win7 PC to a Win11 PC

Post by marcio.ligi »

Thanks a lot! I will try!