Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlbanyIT
Novice
Liked: never

Restore bare metal using agent not quite right

Post by AlbanyIT »

I've created a bootable USB media using the Create Recovery Media Tool. Windows 7, Pro, 32-bit. I've included both recommended settings, to include drivers. A full backup completes without any errors to a Veeam Repository.

When I restore the system to the same chassis, different hard drive, booting off the recovery USB, no errors, restore goes well.

When I reboot, most things about the system appear to be working. The two applications this machine is supposed to run are not working, both appear to be driver related.

If I set the bootable recovery media to utilize the drivers, why is the recovered image having problems installing drivers?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Restore bare metal using agent not quite right

Post by PTide »

Hi,
The two applications this machine is supposed to run are not working, both appear to be driver related.
Would you provide more details on what those apps are supposed to do please?

Thanks
AlbanyIT
Novice

Post by AlbanyIT »

One app is to manage the door security system. Looks like there might have been ODBC pieces missing from that.

The other is a fax server which interfaces with a PCI card connected to two phone lines. Again, it looks like drivers were not properly migrated.

I used another vendor's drive cloning tool and that worked. I'd still like to try and figure this one out as I have a B&R license and use it for all the VMs, bare metal, and replicate mission critical offsite. If the bare metal recovery piece will cause problems, I'll need to find another solution.
AlbanyIT
Novice

Post by AlbanyIT »

I was using 2.0.0.700 and have upgraded to 2.1.0.423. I'm recreating Recovery Media now and will perform an Active Full. Once the full is completed, I will attempt another restore.
AlbanyIT
Novice

Post by AlbanyIT »

Updated to 2.1, new active full, new recovery media, restored to different hard drive, same problems, two applications will not load properly.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Since you're trying to restore to the same chassis, please try to uncheck the "inject drivers" checkbox" and try one more time. There is a possibility that your modem is detected as network device and Windows attempts to push the default driver to it.

Thanks