Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kwells
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Wells

Restore filrs/directories with user permissions

Post by kwells »

I am looking to move a set of folders from 1 ISCSI disk to another ISCSI attached disk (connected to Win server using ISCSI Initiator). We already use B&R 9.5 for the server backups, but it doesn't see the ISCSI disks on the server.

I have downloaded the free VAW and carried out a test file level back up and restore, but it doesn't seem to restore any rights set on the folders. Is there a way to do this using Veeam and the VAW. Would a volume level backup from ISCSI disk A and restore to ISCSI disk B restore file rights as well. I need to sort this out fairly quickly as the original ISCSI disk is starting to fail.

Thanks in advance for any help
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Restore filrs/directories with user permissions

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Kevin.
free VAW and carried out a test file level back up and restore, but it doesn't seem to restore any rights set on the folders. Is there a way to do this using Veeam and the VAW. Would a volume level backup from ISCSI disk A and restore to ISCSI disk B restore file rights as well.
Have you tried volume level backup instead of file level backup?
kwells
Novice

Post by kwells »

Not yet, That was one of the questions I asked. Does anyone know if this would work. I'll have to try that over the next couple of nights as the folders contain some files that are always open when users are logged in!!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Volume level backup is image based, so all file attributes should be preserved when you restore volume via volume level restore.
We already use B&R 9.5 for the server backups, but it doesn't see the ISCSI disks on the server.
Can you please clarify? Are you trying to perform an agent backup for an iSCSI mounted volume from machine with an agent or you cannot add iSCSI volume as backup repository to Veeam B&R console? Thanks.
kwells
Novice

Post by kwells »

I have 2 disks on the windows server Drive F: and Drive G: both ISCSI from NAS boxes connected using Windows ISCSI initiator The NAS box for Drive F is keeps going offline so I want to move all the data to a new drive G:.

Prior to trying to do the whole move, I carried out a test:-

The first step was to download and install the free VAW onto the server concerned. I have created a test set of files and directories, set some permissions, file level backed them up using the Agent. I then deleted the test files and directories and restored them using the agent. They all came back, but the permissions on the files were missing.

As I have between 500Gb and 1Tb of data to move I would like to avoid having to reset all the permissions.

Thanks