Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ONServ
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nicolas OLIVIER

Retention question/issue

Post by ONServ »

Hi,
I have read other post but if they give me some hint they did'nt help me to crack my case ^^
On a physical server
  • we use external disk (one per day) of 2Tb
  • the job have a 3 days backup keep
  • the job have a Full backup monthly setting
With these setting we still have a full chain starting with a full backup on the last January and a incremental backup for each week till today. Of course now disks are full.

Why :
  • full backup are not done
  • veeam agent keeps backup since 11 months
I must have miss something, but can't find what.
Thanks for your help

ONServ
Influencer
Full Name: Nicolas OLIVIER

Re: Retention question/issue

Post by ONServ »

Ok, after writing this post and read again other I have "crack" one bullet point : why I don't have any standalone/full backup each month : I have ask do it the sunday and the particular disk is used only the Tuesday. How can we do this when we use multiple disk ?

I still have to undertsand why the 3rd day retention is not applied, maybe some conflict between this "can't do" full backup and the 3 rd day retention ?
azrael38
Lurker
Full Name: Joshua Wong

Re: Retention question/issue

Post by azrael38 » 1 person likes this post

If your schedule is only allowed to run on Tuesdays, then it will not be able to run a full backup on the first Sunday of the month. Your schedule prevents the full backup from ever running.

Any backup more than 3 days old that can be deleted has been deleted. You can't delete the original vbk and recent vib files until you run a full backup again. Deleting them would make your latest vib useless.