Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
SoHoUser
Lurker
Liked: never

Retention space requirements and robustness?

Post by SoHoUser »

I have two questions about how Endpoint Backup Free injects obsolete VIB snapshots into the base VBK image as part of the retention process.

1: Do I need to provision enough free disk space in the backup target drive to for the VBK to be duplicated entirely? I.E. if I have a backup with an 800GB VBK, do I need 800GB + of free space for retention to work properly?

2: Leaving out the possibility of filesystem corruption, how robust is the VIB to VBK integration process in the face of power failures or other forced interruptions? I.E. if the power goes off when EBF is injecting an obsolete VIB into the VBK, is the backup likely to survive intact?

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Retention space requirements and robustness?

Post by Gostev »

1. I don't fully understand the question. But you need enough disk space for full backup (VBK) and incrementals (VIB) based on retention policy. You don't need disk space for two VBKs, if that is the question.

2. Sure thing. The engine is over 6 years old and is taken directly from our enterprise backup product used by nearly 200'000 companies. Both products are sharing the exact same code, to be precise.

Thanks!