Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
notarobot
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Smith

Restore Veeam backup to a Mac computer?

Post by notarobot »

I have a client backing up his PC to external drive using Veeam Agent for MS Windows (Free).
His laptop has crashed and it is being sent back to Dell. Already been wiped by an OS reinstall that did not solve the problem.

If he switches to a Mac, is there any way to restore his Veeam backup to the Mac? Or does he need to restore to another PC and then copy all the files back onto an external to transfer to a Mac?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restore Veeam backup to a Mac computer?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Daniel,

Not sure if the boot camp from Apple allows that, but you can give it a try and then post back the results.

Thanks!
notarobot
Novice

Post by notarobot »

Thanks Vitally S. Boot Camp is not really an option - it would require copying all the restored files to an external and then copying back to the mac side. Might as well use a windows PC to do that.

I do wonder if it is possible to run Veeam Restore from a Windows 10 installation in a virtual PC application on the Mac, such as Virtual Box or Parallels, and have the restore destination be a shared folder that resides on the Mac desktop?
notarobot
Novice

[MERGED] Run Veeam restore from within a virtual PC on a Mac?

Post by notarobot »

My client might be switching from PC to Mac after his Dell laptop bit the dust. So... It looks like I am going to need to restore a Veeam backup made on a Windows 10 laptop to a new Macbook Pro.

Since there is not a Mac version of Veeam, how can I restore the Veeam backup to a Mac laptop? (Besides using a PC to restore to another external drive.)

I am wondering if I would be able to run Veeam from within a Virtual PC on the Mac (Win10 running in VirtualBox) to restore the backup files & folders to the Mac desktop. In VirtualBox, I can set the desktop folder as a "shared folder" and I think it will then show up within WindowsPC as a network folder. Would Veeam Restore Browser work in this scenario and let me choose the Mac Desktop folder, or the Mac user's "Documents" folder, as a restore destination?

Thanks in advance!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Run Veeam restore from within a virtual PC on a Mac?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Daniel.
Easiest way is to restore data to external drive or network share(Mac's?) from existing Windows machine. Installing a Win10 on VirtualBox and running restore via mapped drive should work just fine(never tested, of course), but that adds additional layer of complexity to the process.
/Cheers!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

notarobot wrote:I do wonder if it is possible to run Veeam Restore from a Windows 10 installation in a virtual PC application on the Mac, such as Virtual Box or Parallels, and have the restore destination be a shared folder that resides on the Mac desktop?
Looks pretty complicated to me ;) Also, not sure how you're going to write data to a Mac desktop from the Windows machine as there should be some drivers on the Windows box to "understand" the Mac file system.